Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Maori Boi a showcase of Aotearoa reggae

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

HUA

HUA
  • Members
  • 598 posts
Posted Image

Feat.

THIS VERSION (Syd) , DARKY ROOTS, PAUA, ONE DREAD, and DJ RAGGA KHAN

The Maori boi show is an interesting concept, its purpose is to showcase Aotearoa born reggae musicians music here in Australia where many expat Kiwi's have settled and now call home.

New Zealanders have always had a stong connection with reggae music, many of these band members would have been brought up around it, many singers have grown up also listening to other genre's such as RNB and hip hop, but still find them selves always coming back to reggae music, this is no coincidence

The show was designed and is being promoted combining all f their advertising avenues by all of the bands featured, as a collective " for us by us" project, All bands are billed equally, all though there is a need for a running order on the night, for this project the bands will put aside ego, and share the bill equally.

The idea was born to bring together just a few of New Zealand's expat Reggae bands currently working in Australia, If the night is a success it will no doubt lead to more in the future with bigger and better line ups.

The event promises to cover most aspects of reggae music to be covered such as darky roots authentic style roots reggae with hints of dancehall vibes, Paua's soulful vocals harmony and melodic songs, This version's Jamaican style rhythms and conscious lyrics peppered with Te reo, with One dread a new band on the scene sure to surprise audiences who have not yet had the privilege to see them offer their take on pacific reggae.

Between the 4 live bands who will play on the night, they have supported most of Aotearoa's biggest acts, and played at most major festivals such as House of shem, 1814, Katchafire, Ardijah, Cornerstone roots, along with Australian acts the Red eyes, Fyah walk, Kingfisha, and International acts, such as The Wailers, Groundation, Oshen, Lukie D, and many more, festivals such as Reggaetown, Island vibe, Kuranda roots, Ragga muffi, Polyfest, One world, Reggae fest.

To keep the night running smooth, DJ Ragga khan will be spinning all sorts of tunes ranging from old school to new school Rnb and reggae music
Links:

Tix available at www.thehifi.com.au

www.myspace.com/thisversion
www.myspace.com/darkyreggae
www.myspace.com/pauamusic

For enquires contact: Hua
darkyreggae@hotmail.com ph: 0450120587
josHUA

dunchillin

dunchillin
  • Members
  • 4,092 posts
Wwwwwicked Hua!

"I was not educated, I was inspirated. If I was educated I would be a damn fool"

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts
Nice one !

:respect:
Play by the king for love is all I bring ...

basmati

basmati

soundsystem done miracles for reggae music

• Members
  • 2,548 posts
This one locked in, that This Version tune you played pon The Yard the other day wikked Hua, need to check One Dread, Ragga Khan and usual suspects like Darky Roots and Paua

darky roots

darky roots
  • Members
  • 48 posts

This one locked in, that This Version tune you played pon The Yard the other day wikked Hua, need to check One Dread, Ragga Khan and usual suspects like Darky Roots and Paua

thisversion - run with the river

love this tune!

and the "bob marley" one is a cool tribute song

mizzem

mizzem
  • Members
  • 195 posts
Too excited about this gig! Bringing a group of mates who are new to Bris' reggae & I can't wait to see them trip out on the talent! May 2011 be MASSIVE for Darky Roots, all other SEQ muso's & selectas!

em

basmati

basmati

soundsystem done miracles for reggae music

• Members
  • 2,548 posts
Not long now - bring it !!!

:lighta2:

Dubmarine

Dubmarine
  • Members
  • 340 posts
Onya Josh for organising a tops night. Great idea.

Good turnout:)

In my opinion Darky Roots were the band of the night, not sure if i have ever heard you guys sound better. Good arrangements and tight segues between tracks. Crowd were definitly there to see you guys.

I missed One Dread unforts, got there just in time to see Paua.

Good set from Paua, new horn section and bassie it seems. Fave tune is the celebrity life one, a bit tougher than the rest.

Caught This Version who finished off the night, had heard a number of studio tracks so was keen to hear it. Played a bunch of versions on known riddims and origs too. Tight band full of great players, in particular Winston on bass and the drummer. I do have to say however... waaaayyy too many covers for my tastes and the Bob Marley medley lost me...

That said i liked most of the set and the front man rocked it.

Good to see support from other acts and community there too. Slim Jim, Rudekat and Swami, looking at you guys:)

And of course the man who supports all reggae shows in Brisbane...BASMATI - respect phil.

Onya Hua, Also man, what was it Paulie said before you guys started? I cant understand Moari:)

The Upsteppers

The Upsteppers
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Onya Hua, Also man, what was it Paulie said before you guys started? I cant understand Moari:)

I agree. Best performance I've seen from Darky Roots... Killed it! Great turnout and vibes. I would also be keen to know what Paulie said to introduce your set.

During the night some guy started talking to me in Maori language. He must have thought there was a fair chance I was from NZ (even though i clearly don't look like i come from a long line of Maori ancestry:)

I also noticed that the Hifi mix is sounding better than it has in the past. Soundsystem was also sounding good at the recent Groundation gig, so maybe they have re-tuned the PA, or just chased some of the gremlins out of the mixer. Is it fixed?

Well promoted show, Great work Hua
:respect:

Dubmarine

Dubmarine
  • Members
  • 340 posts
Yeah i have heard 3 gigs with good sound at the Hi Fi in Bris now. That being Black Seeds/Kingfisha, Groundation and DR.

I have been told that they were originally expecting the Hi Fi to be fuller, ie the top level often open, so the system was set up to make sure sound got everywhere. But as they never open the top level and since there were speakers pointed directly into it it made a massive reverb tank.. hence the shit sound..bad definition etc etc..

The array has since been re organsied to avoid this... ( so i have been told) that said, the room is super verby still ( clap you hands or click near the sound desk when you are in there sound checking one time), but much much better. There is actual bass definition now and yeah as i said, last 3 gigs i have been to have had great sound.

HUA

HUA
  • Members
  • 598 posts
dad said here bwoi hold my bass... :) oh you mean to the crowd, I can't remember it all I was busy cueing the band, I'll get an exact translation and get back to ya,

I'd like to thank everyone who came out, misem I'd love to know what u and your friends thought

I think James did a nice job on sound, pearl gave us good monitors too, James spent about an hour and a half, sorting levels on PA before he allowed this version to sound check, he's pretty anal

FYI thats the same bassie from Paua...

This version were a lovely bunch of fallas, the show the next night was fun as also,

cheers for your accurate report on the evenings runnings mr Dubbs
josHUA