Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

MICHAEL ROSE live at Miss Libertine (Melb)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

troublemaker

troublemaker
  • Members
  • 527 posts
oh, and also...(sif people don't know)
TONIGHT!!!!!!

Itations

Itations

Boom wha dis!

• Culture Don
  • 4,974 posts
:alarm: :alarm: :alarm:

Major Krazy

Major Krazy

The Krazy 1

• Members
  • 3,689 posts
:hyper: :woohoo:

+nightnurse+

+nightnurse+
  • Members
  • 1,855 posts
:fiya:
dem caan get me dowwwn/
coz melburn ah mi town!

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts
well, it was a wicked show, but an extremely disappointing turnout. looks like we won't be doing any more international tours for a while... if we can't even get 200 people to come out and see one of the greatest singers in reggae music, I guess we have to give the touring thing a rest! it's funny, we had more people last weekend at a regular More Fire dance...

thanks to those who came out and supported the show, including those of you who flew in from interstate like Dunchillin and Basmati.

to those of you in Perth and Sydney - make sure you come out and check the shows in your city! Rose truly is one of the best voices in the business...

:flag:

Chris

Chris
  • Members
  • 1,785 posts
That's disappointing about the turn out. I don't really get it!

I'll definitely be at the Syd show - Michael Rose has been a consistently good artist over a long period, and he's a good performer too (if the last time he was in Sydney is anything to go on). I'm excited about seeing him in a sound system style gig too.

paradox

paradox
  • Members
  • 1,144 posts
The Auckland turn out was very thin too, which like you say Jesse, I can't figure out for a legendary artist so prominent both now and 25 years ago...

Aubergine

Aubergine
  • Members
  • 379 posts

to those of you in Sydney - make sure you come out and check the shows in your city! Rose truly is one of the best voices in the business...

Shame about the numbers in Melbs.

But in Sydney he's booked to do his show on the same date as an event which is tipped to attract about half a million people!

Bad timing.

Itations

Itations

Boom wha dis!

• Culture Don
  • 4,974 posts
Well the numbers may have been on the lighter side (for an international show), but from a punter's perspective the show was top class.

Everyone present was treated to a spectacular showcase of the best vocal chords in the business. Admittedly, I was surprised at how clear and precise his voice still is. Hasn't faltered one bit, and in my opinion, sounds every bit as majestic as he does in the studio.

I personally am glad to have caught Michael Rose both times he's been in Melbourne. 2 very different show presentations (first time fronting Sly, Robbie & band). This time it was all Michael and far more intimate than a full band showcase would have been. Nuff forwards, big cheers from the crowd, and an honour to have such an up-close and personal show!

My only gripe is he never played No Burial :(

Gotta also say Jesse Jahmal played a wikkid warm up set... smooth and deadly! And big up to Judgement too for bringing the vibes up perfectly before Michael's set.

So yeah... although numbers were down, Chant Down still hosted a quality show. :respect: to both Jesse and Ras!

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts

to those of you in Sydney - make sure you come out and check the shows in your city!  Rose truly is one of the best voices in the business...

But in Sydney he's booked to do his show on the same date as an event which is tipped to attract about half a million people!

Bad timing.

Hey Garden Egg, you serious??? The annual Mardi Gras has never really affected a reggae gig!!! Last year Firehouse played with Earthlinks on Mardi Gras and it was busy and a great night...... But I guess it depends where your priorities lay!
Madda dan...

SergeonGeneral

SergeonGeneral
  • Members
  • 373 posts

QUOTE (Aubergine @ Feb 28 2009, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (Jesse I @ Mar 4 2009, 08:37 AM)
to those of you in Sydney - make sure you come out and check the shows in your city!  Rose truly is one of the best voices in the business...

Bad timing.

Hey Garden Egg, you serious??? The annual Mardi Gras has never really affected a reggae gig!!! Last year Firehouse played with Earthlinks on Mardi Gras and it was busy and a great night...... But I guess it depends where your priorities lay!

I agree with Static 100%,
Aubergine, how do you think will the Gay & Lesbian parade affect a roots reggae show?

Initially I booked the Oxford Art Factory (on Oxford St) for Rose but due to access issues (nothing else!),
I moved it to the Factory Theatre in Marrickville so punters can bypass the city and avoid traffic...
myspace.com/djnicktoth
facebook.com/djnicktoth
twitter.com/djnicktoth
user posted image

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts
I think what it is is Garden Egg is part of the "100% Vegetable" float and along with fellow veggie float mascots Courgette, Artichoke, Snow Pea and Asparagus (they are the only reggae fans on the veggie float!) they won't be able to attend Michael Rose as they have to tend to their veggie patch/float! :)
Madda dan...

SergeonGeneral

SergeonGeneral
  • Members
  • 373 posts
Posted Image
myspace.com/djnicktoth
facebook.com/djnicktoth
twitter.com/djnicktoth
user posted image

Grapple

Grapple
  • Members
  • 3,057 posts
Everyone goes out partying after Mardi Gras parade anyways don't they.....Every night i went to gigs in CBD on that night they were jumping

Bellyas

Bellyas
  • Members
  • 1,305 posts
Woo hoo, the Melburn show was WICKED!!!! Top notch performance from MR, and nice work from Judgement at the controls. Big up to all who supported this show. I would fly to Syd for a second round if I could!

I would love to listen back to the audio from the Melb show... some killa highlights I won't describe in detail so as not to spoil the surprise for Sydney people :ites:

Wow. :PullUp:
Housewife's Choice

mista grave

mista grave
  • Members
  • 1,033 posts
DNBBBQ is on the same night as well as the mardi gras

Aubergine

Aubergine
  • Members
  • 379 posts
Geez! It's typical of this place really, the sorts of responses one gets. I think it's disappointing he's booked on the same night as the Gras, that's all. And it's pretty obvious why...

I think it's a shame because the great effort those guys in Melbourne put in to get the legendary Rose out here didn't translate into a larger audience for his show. Surely Rose himself'd prefer a bigger crowd. Or does he not care? Jesse said in this thread somewhere, I think, that bringing people like Rose out here is looking more difficult as a result. Heck, even some of the regular nights with just a 'sound system' and no international performers have pulled larger audiences in previous weeks! And the turn out to his Auckland show was small.

I'm simply saying it may not bode well for Mr Rose in Sydney given he's also doing his show on Mardi Gras night! It's not a question of whether or not one approves of homosexuality.

SergeonGeneral: best wishes mate. I wasn't knocking your efforts! But I will now.

If it were me I'd not have booked Rose for a show on March 7. But hey, you booked it right? L.Static reckons he's done huge shows on Mardi Gras night so yeah there's always a chance Rose'll beat Static's previous efforts.

Grapple, sure whilst you may have been out partying with heaps of others in the CBD post-Mardi Gras, Marrickville isn't quite Central Business District is it?

Thing is, given the Sydney Festival numbers this year, which were surprisingly big, the expectation is that this year's Mardi Gras is going to be bigger than it has been in the last few years...that clearly wasn't thought about was it? Is it a case of why would a reggae selector look up Mardi Gras dates anyway? It's out of your field and you probably didn't bother....if you did and knew the Gras was on but booked him anyway, then, well, that's simply dumb.

If Rose's numbers are as disappointing as they were in Melbs - or worse - then I guess you'd have to blame what? Sydney people don't know Michael Rose (I'd hazard a guess most don't), don't care about reggae (again, I'd say most don't), can't afford the show, the weather was bad, there's a flu going round, Mardi Gras was on...or 'don't know'? You'll only whinge and moan afterwards and blame ignorant Sydneysiters who don't appreciate reggae - even the old school shit like Michal Rose.

You guys are just rude and frankly should have thought more carefully for Michael's sake.

Huh, yeah Mr Vegetable

Major Krazy

Major Krazy

The Krazy 1

• Members
  • 3,689 posts
:hmm: :gay: (always wanted a reason to use that :lol: )

Why don't ya wait & find out how the gig pans out before getting all worked up.
And stop talk about the mardi gras so much in the Melbourne thread, surley there is a sydney thread more appropriate for this discussion & talking bout Mardi Gras :gay: ... hehehe :wink:

General Dread

General Dread
  • Members
  • 135 posts
Tell ya, Mykal Rose was sell off.
Nuff respect to the 1 Jesse I n chant down productions.
Was a pleasure to witness King Rose in session ina proper dancehall style.

Again thanks Jesse.

:respect:

troublemaker

troublemaker
  • Members
  • 527 posts
Yeah, can't believe there weren't more people at the show cos no reggae fan in Melbourne should've missed this one!! Michael definitely lived up to my expectations in terms of a live performance. He didn't have the hype of a younger artist like Jah Mason, but he definitely delivered on the roots front and touched some nice dancehall too!! Top class show from him, and all selectors before and after kept me on my feet.
Good to have Dangerous there at the end :wink: