Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

MORE FIRE 61 @ Brown Alley (Mel)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

dreadbeard

dreadbeard

Jah Live

• Members
  • 204 posts
BIG night , with some big tunes an awesome vibes ! :respect: gwaan to all who came fe a baptism of more fire pon brown alley .Gotta love the Jah love riddim, wiked to hear a strong mix up pon that one from the chantdown fire sound ! :thumbs: A treat fe I fe sure, hearin so much older style riddims an little dancehall. First time I seen the man damajah really do his ting pon the mic :respect: Combo of Vida an Damajah was truly a highlight of the night !
Hard to say who got the real blessing fe the night..... Chantdown sound fe landin a great venue with a top sound system, or brown alley fe landin the Chantdown Fire Sound on a regular basis ... hmmmmm or maybe all of the I in attendance fe scoring both ! :wink:
Maximum respect JesseI an Ras Crucial :lighta2:
One god, one aim, one destiny !

daniel ring

daniel ring
  • Members
  • 644 posts
big up's to all the dj's ... for some razor sharp mixing 'nuff fresh tunes > nice one !
massive respect to chant down for keeping the more fire sessions blazing .. must admit i loved the old venue the low ceiling etc but enjoyed the space and comfort that brown alley offers ... sorry if i'm too shy to come up and say g'day much ... anyway nice one and see y'all next month

+nightnurse+

+nightnurse+
  • Members
  • 1,855 posts

it took a long time (of "just shut the fuck up" comments, thats was one guy said to me aswell who aproached me at the decks^^)

Too bad you had to be interupted by this dude smo, I did tell him to watch his fat mouth and he piped down pretty quickly. All bark and no bite I sez :wink:

:respect:
dem caan get me dowwwn/
coz melburn ah mi town!

Binghi Fire

Binghi Fire
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts

it took a long time (of "just shut the fuck up" comments, thats was one guy said to me aswell who aproached me at the decks^^)

maybe that guy just wanted to enjoy a dance...?

Melbourne (and Oz) crowd is wayyyyy behind with the international reggae dancehall scene and much education is needed to get up to par, whether it be going to see a sound clash, reggae bands, deejays etc. However, in the end it comes down to reading the crowd and making the right selections to keep the dance massive. personally i thought the hardcore bashment selection was a bit ruff on the ears! :teef: esp when the floor was a little slow and people where getting a bit confused with the selecting style (eg. playing each tune for around 30 secs and continually interrupting each tune by telling the crowd how great your sound is). the last thing you wanna fling is a nirvana bashment remix in the early hours.

don't get me wrong, me nah diss. smo provided a wikked showcase for bam bam sound and is a perfect example of wha gwaan outernational style. he's fully committed and very enthusiastic about what he does. his dubplates run deep and he's got wikked artistes chatting on classic riddims. as i said melb is way behind and it was the first time for many to experience disya style, which is what the rest of the reggae world is doing, but again, nah matter how much dubplate you got, you still haffi play for the people dem.

:respect: to all sound girls and boys

Itations

Itations

Boom wha dis!

• Culture Don
  • 4,974 posts
I dont think Melbourne is behind at all (not in that sense anyway)... I just dont think Melbourne digs it!

A lot of people know what a "proper" sound style is... you'd be surprised! It's just not the way the flow is developing here, and people prefer less chatting, more playing.

Mikey Glamour

Mikey Glamour

Brown $tick of Dynamite

• Members
  • 9,101 posts
Very interesting indeed.....The Tek has played in Melb a few times and we love playing there as the crowds have ALWAYS showed us much love.....for any one that has seen or heard us in action we are heavy on the use of "Pattsy" and Melbourne to date has seemed to appreciate the style.....I am sure tho it is not every ones cup of tea but just speaking from the many gigs We have done there!!!!!!
NAME - MIKEY GLAMOUR
ALIAS - BROWN $TICK OF DYNAMITE
AGE - NONE OF YAH BLOODCLAAT BIZNIZ
OCCUPATION - INTIMATE SERVICE PROVIDER/MINISTER FOR ARGUMENT AND REASONING
PLACE OF WORK - SELF EMPLOYED SPERM BANK - GYAL COME GET AH LOAN
POSITION - LIZARD LAP/FOOT PON SHOULDER
CURRENT LOCATION - INNA YU GYAL/UP IN THE HILLS AH HOLD AH MEDITATION
CITY - GUN SMOKE/GANGSTA TOWN/SYN CITY
COUNTRY - CONVICT COUNTRY
ROLE MODELS - KING SOLOMAN/MIKE TYSON
HOBBIES - "IS ALL ABOUT DI JOY"
DIS LIKES - GYAL WHE TOO STOOSH
FAVOURITE WEBSITE - user posted imageDONT BE NOSEY

FI MI FACE BOOK LINK
MY SPACE LINK FI DI GLAMMS
Hortense Phillipa Waisome aka "Mum" 15.7.52 - 20.3.05 For ever missed but never forgotten

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts
yeah, I agree with you entirely Sista. I don't think it's a lack of education on the part of Melbourne people, but our dancehall scene has just developed differently... people know what they like! I hear the same sort of comments from people checking sound tapes and clashes online... "wicked tunes, but why don't they let them PLAY for more than 30 seconds!?"

Most people that come to More Fire have been coming for years, and ARE educated, they know the music and the culture - but they aren't just going to accept one particular style as better just because it's more "authentic" or something. You're right though Binghi, as a selector you have to read the crowd - people here tend to get a bit worn out with too much hardcore bashment, so you need to know when to mix things up.

Personally I think our reggae scene is in great shape. Hell, at least people now know what a dubplate special is, and could appreciate the GOLD in Smo's dubplate box - go back 10 years and I think it would have been a very different story.

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts
True Mikey... I don't think people here are total strangers to the full-on soundsystem style with heavy mic action, etc (obviously some will be though, hence the "fuck off" comment Smo got). Just different strokes for different folks... I had a couple people make similar comments to me last time the Tek played with us, "too much shouting", etc... but you can't please all the people all the time. what one selector plays, some people will find sublime, others will find it boring... what another selector plays, some will love, some will hate... it's the subjective nature of music and performance!

respect to all who do their thing, regardless of their style... build wi just a build a vibes!!

Binghi Fire

Binghi Fire
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
hmmm yes indeed. i may've exaggerated a bit by saying that melbs is wayyy behind. How could our beloved melb reggae scene be so healthy if in fact this was the case! :yes: i think i was trying to put it nicely for the guy who went up to smo and told him to "shut the fuk up"! he may've spoke for some who were there

:fire:

smo

smo
  • Members
  • 240 posts
yeah, i fully understand ur point binghi
im completely not experienced playing for oz reggae massive. i knew they werent used to it but i had the 50/50 chance of people either going for it or not liking it. (the bashment tunes aswell as playing style) jesse told me people would prolly not like soca, but i tried to deliver people some of the style going on in my city, which is one of the nice things when foreign djs play in town. when i saw ppl not digging the tunes, especially the soca - i was busy with doing a one man show but ive def seen ppl bouncing around to the nirvana ting^^ - i put it down again.
my delivery style tho is something else, this is my thing, this is me and my way of playing tunes on a big bashment, or special occasions. representing. would everyone have been totally pissed of with my style i prolly would have got out regular tunes and just mix them, but there was a league of soundboys and gals in the massive digging it, and other ppl being at least interested in whats happening there.
and in the endeffect (prolly i shouldnt say that before i have the audio lol) i completely stand behind that set saturday and think it was a nice way to welcome the new venue!
no disrespect to anyone. i completely understand ur points. but for me its always about finding a middle way between playing tunes the people want and know and connecting this with giving them something new, introducing them to something.

anyway, the dance is dun and the only thing i badly need right now is the bloodclaat AUDIO... JESSE! :D

blessup
BAM BAM BERLIN
The Rubadub Machine
09.09. DESTRUCTION DANCE @ collingwood ls. all stars :)

smo

smo
  • Members
  • 240 posts

but you can't please all the people all the time. what one selector plays, some people will find sublime, others will find it boring... what another selector plays, some will love, some will hate... it's the subjective nature of music and performance!

very well put..
i always think of a soundsystem dance (for me theres a huge difference between normal regular dances with one, two sounds who juggle tunes and a dance to start a new venue, which wasnt intended, but also with a planned live showcase, and a sound from overseas) as kind of a concert. i go there to hear their specials, see what they say how the mc is, speeches, etc..
and: the shorter the tunes get played the deeper u can look in their boxes ova the evening ;)
BAM BAM BERLIN
The Rubadub Machine

Itations

Itations

Boom wha dis!

• Culture Don
  • 4,974 posts

yeah, i fully understand ur point binghi
im completely not experienced playing for oz reggae massive. i knew they werent used to it but i had the 50/50 chance of people either going for it or not liking it.

Nah worry Smo! Plenty of people -did- like it... I know Papa Evril is a big fan :) He was having the time of his life during your set. You tried out all angles... at least you kept an eye on the crowd to see what worked and what didnt. Some dont! They just arrogantly play with complete disregard for the crowd.

Anyway. You have Ranking Joe dubs. Thats all that matters. Everyone else can go sit down :lol:

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts
heh heh... yeah, respect due Smo! audio soon come... the only problem is that with people over checking records here all day, I just don't have the free time to run four hours of audio into my PC in real time... but as I say, soon come!

the shadefoot

the shadefoot
  • Members
  • 1,559 posts
I was really interested to hear how the dance was going to go down, thanks for the posts people, interesting reasoning for sure........really looking forward to hearing the audio!!

:respect: to Smo and Bam Bam, I had the pleasure of meeting the crew and going into the studio with them in Berlin and had a fantastic few hours..............although I had to drink warm beer.......

.......and big up Chantdown and the Melbourne reggae massive, see you all in January!
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act!" - George Orwell

Doctor Fil

Doctor Fil

Internet

• Members
  • 1,492 posts

respect to all who do their thing, regardless of their style... build wi just a build a vibes!!

:yes:

educate, learn , inspire.. that's how things grow..and improve.
Rastafari not a culture, it's a reality.

the shadefoot

the shadefoot
  • Members
  • 1,559 posts

:lighta2:
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act!" - George Orwell

Bellyas

Bellyas
  • Members
  • 1,305 posts
:fire: Ok I mek my gold coin donation here now. ;) Mega love to all the family and friends at the Big Dance at Brown Alley. More Fire blazed bigger and brigher than ever in a new style, what a blessing!!! Respect to the original Ites man, A-1-freakin'-3 and showman Smo, you kept me well entertained from the word go, man. Big up! Also Laaarge up Damajah, I could have listened to you sing and chat all night, bro, serious. You #1 wicked. More love, VidaSunshyneGirl, Ras Robbie, Traffik, Doktor... everyone sound hot. Oh yeah, and Chant Down Sound, mi love non-stop. Blessings everytime. :fire: Blaze Fya Blaze :fire:
Housewife's Choice

Binghi Fire

Binghi Fire
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
Big ups Bellyas in the place! :wave:

yeah the audio will be good. gotta relisten to all those bam bam specials. can't remember half of what smo played! a lot of stuff there :respect:

smo

smo
  • Members
  • 240 posts
the only thing i missed was the pull up sound... i dont select with cds that often usually...
BAM BAM BERLIN
The Rubadub Machine

I-ROB RIDDIM ROB

I-ROB RIDDIM ROB
  • Members
  • 388 posts
Smo was good on mic, dunno bout all tha selections but I like Machel Montana so thats cool :wave: