Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

LEE SCRATCH PERRY

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

Itations

Itations

Boom wha dis!

• Culture Don
  • 4,974 posts
Posted Image

The East Coast Blues & Roots Festival presents

FROM JAMAICA ONE OF REGGAE’S TRUE ICON’S

LEE SCRATCH PERRY – WITH FULL BAND!

Elemental reggae revolutionary LEE SCRATCH PERRY returns to Australia with FULL BAND in April to play club shows in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide as well as the East & West Coast Blues & Roots Festival’s. Following sell-out concerts to our shores in previous years, these Australian shows by Mr. Rainford Hugh ‘Scratch’ ‘Pipecock Jaxxson’ ‘The Upsetter’ ‘Super Ape’ Perry will feature a complete live element with his entire band coming on tour. The much respected and revered Jamaican producer, recording artist, performance artist and shaman will be dropping old skool sounds and classic cuts dug up from his infamous Black Ark period right through to the latest album.

Throughout his vast and important life the archetypal court jester who masks his might in madness, has massively influenced reggae, dub, hip-hop, electronica and beyond. His magical musical career spans almost five decades, instructing and collaborating with the likes of Coxsone Dodd, Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer and Bob Marley to The Clash, Zodiac Mindwarp and Adrian Sherwood.

Lee was born in a Jamaican village in 1936, and by the 1950s was discovering the sounds of Kingston. In the early 60s he made his first recording, Chicken Scratch, which gave him his famous nickname. Perrys 1968 release People Funny Boy was the first Jamaican pop record to use the loping, lazy, bass-driven beat that would soon become identified as the reggae riddim and signal the shift from upbeat ska to the pulsing, throbbing languor of roots reggae. Lee went on to record and produce some of the finest moments of the movement, including works with Bob Marley. www.upsetter.net/scratch/

SUNDAY 1 APRIL 2007
Fowlers Live – ADELAIDE
68 NORTH TCE, ADELAIDE
with JAH TRINITY OUTERNATIONAL SOUND SYSTEM & JESSE PROVERBS

DOORS OPEN 8.00PM TIX $55 + BF
Info: 08 8212 0255 Bookings: 08 8225 8888 Over 18’s only www.fowlerslive.com.au

MONDAY 2 APRIL 2007
The Prince Bandroom - MELBOURNE
29 FITZROY STREET, ST.KILDA
with UPTIGHT SELECTION, BINGHI FIRE & RuC.L

DOORS OPEN 7.30PM TIX $66 + BF
Info & Bookings: Ticketek - 132 849 www.ticketek.com or The Prince – 03 9536 1168 www.princebandroom.com.au
Or Polyester, Missing Link & Greville record stores

WEDNESDAY 4 APRIL 2007
Metro Theatre - SYDNEY
624 GEORGE STREET, SYDNEY
with FIRE HOUSE & BASSLINES

DOORS OPEN 8.00PM TIX $66 + BF
Info & Bookings: 02 9550 3666 or Ticketek - 132 849 www.ticketek.com

LOUIS

LOUIS
  • Members
  • 1,103 posts
Basslines are hoping to play as a live band for this one.

Jim Elliott -Drums (The Cruel Sea)
Louis - Bass (Basslines)
Pete Mitchell - Harmonica (Basslines)
Janny Casanova - (Foreign Dub)
Ben King - Guitar (The Versionaries)
Gina Mitchell - (Basslines)
Lomar - On the desk

professor

professor
  • Members
  • 920 posts
Louis - that sounds good, Jim is a champion drummer and a top fella. Anyone know who is in Scratch's band?
LAWLESS STREET - 2RRR 88.5FM [SYDNEY] Thursdays 4 - 6pm

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts
They are the White Belly Rats - http://www.reggae.ch...projects&id=119

DJ Startrek - Bass
Lorenzo Viennet - Guitars
Nicolas Pittet - Drums
Pascal Brunkow - Producing and Live Sound
Play by the king for love is all I bring ...

professor

professor
  • Members
  • 920 posts
Ta.

LOUIS

LOUIS
  • Members
  • 1,103 posts
Blues and roots festival would rather not have a band support for this gig due to possible change over difficulties, sorry guys we were really looking forward to doing this one live anyway next time. Mad prof had a lot of good things to say about the white belly rats so there will be nuff live music to check out :joint:

Binghi Fire

Binghi Fire
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
That's a pity Louis.

I heard that it's not the white belly rats backing. it's another band from JA.

Itations

Itations

Boom wha dis!

• Culture Don
  • 4,974 posts
Running times:

MONDAY 2 APRIL 2007
The Prince Bandroom – Melbourne
Doors Open 7.30pm
7.30pm –8.20pm BINGHI FIRE
8.20pm – 9.10pm UPTIGHT SELECTION
9.10pm – 9.30pm RuC.L
9.30pm – 11.00pm LEE SCRATCH PERRY
11.00pm – CLOSE UPTIGHT SELECTION

WEDNESDAY 4 APRIL 2007
Factory Theatre - Sydney
Doors Open 8.00pm
8.00pm – 8.45pm BASSLINES
8.45pm – 9.30pm FIRE HOUSE
9.30pm – 11.00pm LEE SCRATCH PERRY
11.00pm – CLOSE FIRE HOUSE

flying fish

flying fish
  • Members
  • 590 posts
Is the Sydney show at the Metro or the Factory?

professor

professor
  • Members
  • 920 posts
Factory - venue changed for some reason

flying fish

flying fish
  • Members
  • 590 posts
Brilliant! Right on my street :pipe:

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts
TONIGHT in Melbourne !

Remember people, tickets still available ... 2 for 1 special !!

Ramblin Steve

Ramblin Steve
  • Members
  • 1 posts
If anybody is interested in going halves in a 2-4-1 ticket let me know (by email). I’m keen to catch da man, but watching the pennies at the mo and left all my musically broad minded friends in another city.

Robojase

Robojase
  • Members
  • 674 posts

Blues and roots festival would rather not have a band support for this gig due to possible change over difficulties, sorry guys we were really looking forward to doing this one live anyway next time. Mad prof had a lot of good things to say about the white belly rats so there will be nuff live music to check out :joint:

That would have been great Louis! Been loving the Basslines sets of late! Good tings :respect:

Next time, huh???

Robo
"Ha! You think it's funny? Turning Rebellion into money..."
-Strummer

Robojase

Robojase
  • Members
  • 674 posts

Factory - venue changed for some reason

But it's still on the Weds night Prof???
"Ha! You think it's funny? Turning Rebellion into money..."
-Strummer

professor

professor
  • Members
  • 920 posts
Far as I know Jase - although I think I might have said Thursday on the radio last week.

professor

professor
  • Members
  • 920 posts
Any word on the new Upsetters Melbourne??

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts
Was a great show ... Perry actually sang in tune !

Got to hand it to Scratch, for a 72 year old to be still be doing this is a massive effort. I think the toll of this is visable, his pace has slowed down considerably and is more chilled compared to the other times we've seen him. Was terrific to see him with a band and the dynamics of it all. Perry didn't ramble on and on as much, I felt like Perry and his band came to work and did a solid job to their best ability. Band was great too, tight and dread 4 piece outfit, all from the UK (the drummer and keysman used to be part of the Robotiks) .. was refreshing to see some proper live reggae with a heavy bottom end !

Highlights for me was Perry singing George Faith's "To Be A Lover" !
Lowlights, too many Bob Marley covers (though Scratch originally composed them) ...

So all in all it was a fun night. Was great to see some new and old faces in the audience. Stayed until the very end to hear Heartical D close the night and rinse some fine selections !

Will be interesting to hear about the Sydney show next ..

Big up Terrasphere again for this one !

delay

delay
  • Members
  • 215 posts
yeah - real sweet heavyweight sound (most the time) from a great, seasoned straight up 4 piece. Thought I recognised the keys player! (thanks for the robotiks check, ranking). Loved the scratch banter this time - 95% coherent & witty as! Definitely the best scratch show I've seen since '99. :lighta2:

Huckleberry

Huckleberry
  • Members
  • 1,404 posts
looking alot more foward to the bluesfest shows now.
Huck is always on the raft.

No time to mess with Greed, Got some fine plants to seed...