Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

the final Chant Down Babylon on PBS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts
This Saturday will be the last Chant Down Babylon radio show on PBS FM. I'm not going anywhere, but PBS management are forcing me to change the name of the show after more than a decade. This is due to concerns about "conflict of interest", with Chant Down Sound apparently getting undue promotion because of the similarity to Chant Down Babylon.

This is a bit of a kick in the guts for me... as well as the history and emotional investment in the name, I also have literally hundreds of jingles and station IDs that I now can't use, or will have to edit down - some by artists that have passed away.

Uptight is in the same boat, being forced to change the name of his Heartical program for the same reason.

Anyway, tune in this Saturday for two hours of pure "Chant Down Babylon" tunes, and countless jingles!

Babylon Burning soon come...

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts
Ridiculous decision ... I hope PBS reconsider, it's really a shame ...

Posted Image
Play by the king for love is all I bring ...

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts
they're aren't gonna reconsider, they've made that very very clear...

:no:

ISIS

ISIS
  • Members
  • 1,472 posts
Pure fuckery that Jesse.

Undue Promotion??!?!! The least they could give you is some Promo fpr your years of Service.
Link Up | SabataSound@gmail.com | FB: SabataSound Yusiit | Twitter: @SabataSound

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts
yeah... not to mention some recognition of the fact that countless people have discovered PBS (and thus become members) after first coming to More Fire gigs, etc...

in the station's defense though, the decision appears to have come from licensing concerns in regards to the promotion of commercial entities. they're also looking at the way that gold business patrons are thanked on air, for the same reason.

so it goes...

mama trees

mama trees
  • Members
  • 573 posts
Jah knows Jesse that playing on community radio station is a thankless job...

but dont worry, people who love your show will continue to love your show despite bureaucracy
http://www.reggaedancehallwa.com/

Dem pop down
but we STILL HOT !!!

Rachel

Rachel
  • Members
  • 229 posts
dang now Ras Robbie and I cant walk round da streetz singin da chant down babylon jingles :(

ISIS

ISIS
  • Members
  • 1,472 posts

they're also looking at the way that gold business patrons are thanked on air, for the same reason.

Next thing you know you will be the host of "Shell Petrolum present the Commonwealth Bank of Australia Reggae Radio Show hosted by Jesse HyundaI"
Link Up | SabataSound@gmail.com | FB: SabataSound Yusiit | Twitter: @SabataSound

paradox

paradox
  • Members
  • 1,144 posts
Unbelievable.

FoundationStepper

FoundationStepper

Bass Nerd Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 2,241 posts
Sucks!

guess it makes sense though - i imagine that in order to be a tax deductable not for profit status (and get cheaper licensing costs??) they mustn't be seen to be having commercial linkages

EMPRESS DJ CORBY

EMPRESS DJ CORBY
  • Members
  • 692 posts
Sorry to hear Jesse
Give thanks and big :respect: for all the
years you have forwarded Reggae with positive
vibes on the air and educating the Ausie public
along the way
Bless

Chris

Chris
  • Members
  • 1,785 posts

Sucks!

guess it makes sense though - i imagine that in order to be a tax deductable not for profit status (and get cheaper licensing costs??) they mustn't be seen to be having commercial linkages

It does seem to be taking a narrow and inflexible view though. A real pity.

+nightnurse+

+nightnurse+
  • Members
  • 1,855 posts
It is a real shame and I will miss all my favourite jingles! but Jesse Uptight PBS and everyone else on it deserve the our appreciation for continuing to operate in a environment that doesn't have the interests of not for profits as a major concern.

anyway this show will be always high grade, no matter whats its named! looking forward to all the new jingles :fire:
dem caan get me dowwwn/
coz melburn ah mi town!

LOUIS

LOUIS
  • Members
  • 1,103 posts
Jesse where can we write a letter to that is ridiculous, what about the cross promotion somebody there has a screw loose

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts
thanks all. Louis, I wouldn't bother, as they have a justification for their actions that they will stick by - they feel the show name is a threat to the license renewal, and they're not going to let anything threaten the license. personally I can't see it being an issue, and if it turned out to be, then I'd be happy to change the show name - but anyway, they've made it clear that they're 100% inflexible on this issue. thanks for the support though.

dangerous

dangerous
  • Culture Don
  • 3,773 posts
It really sucks. I was talking to my friend in the car about it this morning ... I don't see why it's an issue as Chant Down is not the name of a company, it's just a collective name for you and Ras Crucial really ... you don't have an actual night called Chant Down, it's called More Fire. If I went on as "Dangerous" or had a show called "Dangerous Reggae" would they make me change it?

How long does the licence last? Could you change it back after it's been renewed?
Bass is maternal, when it's loud I feel safer

Uptight

Uptight

Undisputed Champion of the Soundsystem

• Members
  • 845 posts
This is all very unfortunate after all the hard work we do in promoting the station.

I also in the same boat with my show Heartical on PBS. Now to be named Break The Chain and in a new time spot of 11am-1pm on Fridays from 7th November. Will be same content and format as usual.

Mikey Glamour

Mikey Glamour

Brown $tick of Dynamite

• Members
  • 9,101 posts
Wow mi jus read this I am really sorry to hear what ah gwaan....I hope dem really ah reconsider dem actions!!!!!!
NAME - MIKEY GLAMOUR
ALIAS - BROWN $TICK OF DYNAMITE
AGE - NONE OF YAH BLOODCLAAT BIZNIZ
OCCUPATION - INTIMATE SERVICE PROVIDER/MINISTER FOR ARGUMENT AND REASONING
PLACE OF WORK - SELF EMPLOYED SPERM BANK - GYAL COME GET AH LOAN
POSITION - LIZARD LAP/FOOT PON SHOULDER
CURRENT LOCATION - INNA YU GYAL/UP IN THE HILLS AH HOLD AH MEDITATION
CITY - GUN SMOKE/GANGSTA TOWN/SYN CITY
COUNTRY - CONVICT COUNTRY
ROLE MODELS - KING SOLOMAN/MIKE TYSON
HOBBIES - "IS ALL ABOUT DI JOY"
DIS LIKES - GYAL WHE TOO STOOSH
FAVOURITE WEBSITE - user posted imageDONT BE NOSEY

FI MI FACE BOOK LINK
MY SPACE LINK FI DI GLAMMS
Hortense Phillipa Waisome aka "Mum" 15.7.52 - 20.3.05 For ever missed but never forgotten