Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fat Freddys Drop

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts
Posted Image

Melbourne 23rd - Forum Theatre
Sydney 24th - Metro Theatre
Brisbane 25th - The Zoo
Byron Bay 26th - The Great Northern
Play by the king for love is all I bring ...

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts
So now .. are they worth checking out? Be honest ...
Play by the king for love is all I bring ...

El Rocker

El Rocker

***Strictly Rockers***

• Members
  • 851 posts
...also intrigued. Heard nothing but good reviews on these guys. How roots is their reggae?

dangerous

dangerous
  • Culture Don
  • 3,773 posts
pffffffffttttt... don't check me with no lightweight stuff...
Bass is maternal, when it's loud I feel safer

the shadefoot

the shadefoot
  • Members
  • 1,559 posts
oh, you got to check them out for sure, wicked musicians, AMAZING horn section, some serious riddims and heavy basslines coming out of that MPC and the singer brings some SOUL, i mean, if you like hearing a sweet voice delivered with absolute class, you gotta see this guy..................

the guitarist nails the rootsy skanks El Rocker, about as roots as you could get without a drummer or a bassplayer................
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act!" - George Orwell

the shadefoot

the shadefoot
  • Members
  • 1,559 posts

no way man, they got some nice steppers live, you should see 'em.........

not as heavy as the UK stuff, but nah lightweight either!!...............
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act!" - George Orwell

nafet

nafet
  • Members
  • 637 posts

hah!

they don't play strictly reggae so its probably not gonna please the purists, but when they hit a roots vibe it is definitely tough. their live show is what its all about though, so I reckon they're definitely worth checking.

dangerous

dangerous
  • Culture Don
  • 3,773 posts
So don't judge em by 'Based on a True Story'? cos I got that album and I think it's terrible, R & B, jazz (and not jazz in a good way) infused whiny shit with a bit of a reggae skank. It's just my opinion, obviously it's not a popular one :lol:

So, is there better stuff out there from them?

[edit: added whiny :ites: )

the shadefoot

the shadefoot
  • Members
  • 1,559 posts
well, if you don't like the album, probably don't worry about it then actually :D i know where you coming from on the R+B thing, that comes through in lots of south pacific music, i don't like all the tracks or where they take some of the songs...............but tracks like cay's crays :bomb:

and live, it's sweet, but i reckon you'd probably hate all the solos dangerous, some of them can be a bit long but i'd reckon you'd dig some of the Akai MPC action...........

and i don't see how a voice like that can be called whiny, if, in fact, that is what you mean.............

dangerous

dangerous
  • Culture Don
  • 3,773 posts

but tracks like cay's crays :bomb:

and i don't see how a voice like that can be called whiny, if, in fact, that is what you mean.............

listening to cay's crays now... it's not doing it for me. yeah this song is ok, but it doesn't get a :bomb: by a long shot! Not even a :phones:

As for whiny, maybe I shoulda said girly. :lol: It's not that I don't like the voice, I just don't like the songs, and yeah his singing is a bit R and B, I'd like a bit more rawness or something. It's sounds like it should be sung by a chick. In fact, if Erykah voiced the tunes, the album might not be so bad!

the shadefoot

the shadefoot
  • Members
  • 1,559 posts

listening to cay's crays now... it's not doing it for me.  yeah this song is ok, but it doesn't get a :bomb: by a long shot!  Not even a :phones:

maybe a :bomb: was a bit much but it's most definitely a :phones: for me........

in response to what you said before about your view not being popular, i reckon it would be about 50/50 on this site.......maybe.........!?!?!

dangerous

dangerous
  • Culture Don
  • 3,773 posts
I dunno, I've only read good things about them here.

Itations

Itations

Boom wha dis!

• Culture Don
  • 4,974 posts

I second that.

Maybe gets a ^_^
Doesnt get a :phones:
Nowhere near a :shotta:

Itations

Itations

Boom wha dis!

• Culture Don
  • 4,974 posts
Nice tour poster though!

Huckleberry

Huckleberry
  • Members
  • 1,404 posts
go check them out !!!!!! they were wonderful when they played up here last, but i agree based on a true story is bad i rekon ( cat empire worthy at best ) opps... *avoids grenade thrown by shadie* but i think their live album is absolutly unreal, and live they extended their songs and really made them work. great horn section, nice islander vocals , they need a live drummie i rekon, but all their fans cant be wrong i spose.. do go check them out if you can afford, they put on a good quality show.
Huck is always on the raft.

No time to mess with Greed, Got some fine plants to seed...

the shadefoot

the shadefoot
  • Members
  • 1,559 posts

I dunno, I've only read good things about them here.

that's just cause people are too damn nice on this forum....

* strawweight, 105 pounds (48 kg)
* junior flyweight, 108 pounds (49 kg)
* flyweight, 112 pounds (51kg)
* junior bantamweight, 115 pounds (52 kg)
* bantamweight, 118 pounds (53.5 kg)
* junior featherweight, 122 pounds (55 kg)
* featherweight, 126 pounds (57 kg)
* junior lightweight, 130 pounds (59 kg)
* lightweight, 135 pounds (61 kg)
* junior welterweight, 140 pounds (63.5 kg)
* welterweight, 147 pounds (67 kg)
* junior middleweight, 154 pounds (70 kg)
* middleweight, 160 pounds (72.5 kg)
* super middleweight, 168 pounds (76 kg)
* light heavyweight, 175 pounds (79 kg)
* cruiserweight, 190 pounds (86 kg)
* heavyweight, unlimited

at least you didn't say strawweight, i'd put them more about middleweight :blink:

nafet

nafet
  • Members
  • 637 posts

but i agree based on a true story is bad i rekon ( cat empire worthy at best )

damn, I'm not a massive fan of their lp, but 'cat empire worthy at best'...now thats getting a bit harsh...;)

jim_thewings

jim_thewings

jaydub

• Members
  • 107 posts
i love the drop, im going to see them in sydney for sure. i love all the reggae/dub coming from Aotearoa right now, fat freddys is a prime example, its really really beautiful music. but yeah, the purists probly wont like it. im really keen to hear what there live sound is like with the sampled rhythm section
eat my dub here

Gwaan Gal

Gwaan Gal
  • Members
  • 27 posts
Definately worth checking fat freddys. I just caught them at splore - a nz outdoor festival and they put on a wonderful stage performance, very different from your average band just due to the horns section and the large number of members.

Also caught Mu (DJ Fetchie) djing in Seattle and giving a lecture mainly on the MPC at the redbull music academy. That guy has certainly got skills, he produces fat freddy's tracks and performs on the MPC at their live gigs.

Fat Freddy's have played a number of gigs in Melbourne over the years and most people go back for more after catching them for the first time. My favourite was when they played at the Corner Hotel in Richmond, Melb. They came out in a blaze of ganja smoke and kept everyone mesmerised throughout their set.

So yeah, I say - yes go see them.

:phones:

+SOULJAH+

+SOULJAH+
  • Members
  • 57 posts

So now .. are they worth checking out? Be honest ...

Of course they are worth checking out..
If you like Hi-Tek Pacific Soul.

Fat Freddies Drop aren't Reggae....