Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Richie Spice "Universal Struggle" Tour

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
227 replies to this topic

Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard
  • Members
  • 1,035 posts

I dont know what went down back stage, and possibly knocked this guy off his game, and why it took so long for him to come out...
But he looked really mashed up to me....and the whole event felt really ghetto...Its was weird how he looked like he was about to pass out during some of the songs, but was totally coherent in his in between banter....it was a bit like watching a train wreck

I actually felt  sorry for him, because he seemed to be really struggling... At the end of the day he's human....and we all have off days....and i dont think you can blame the outcome of the show on 1 person ..its usually a collaboration of different people who are responsible for how an event comes off...

In Brisbane it was reported to be Chiny Take away that delayed the show for a few hours..

But like I said people dont see it that way.. allot of people expect "super man" but in this case I think people would have jus been well happy with.. a bit of professionalism a bit of participation and energy mixed with a bit of 'I do give a fuck!' ..and I think most people would have been well happy with that.

shang

shang
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Perth show was sooooooooooooooooo good! beautiful outdoor venue, richie was on fire!!!!! large crowd was pumped, singing along to all the lyrics...was best reggae gig i've been to in ages!!!!!!!

:bike:

Binghi Fire

Binghi Fire
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
jesse - yeah agreed man. i repented in my last post. i bit of a dicky comment for sheez. as for putting up a silly post, well i'm in good company on disya forum!

yeah i'm still vexed but i can imagine how fukked it must be for the promoters. at least the support acts warmed the place up nicely. by the same token, as bossygal wrote, spice looked like he was really struggling at times. literally giving up mid verse for several tunes and staring into the distance with a blank look on his face. was quite concerning, so something was a gwaan. the best richie spice tune that night was "the plane land" played by the support act.

AliMC

AliMC
  • Members
  • 23 posts
I put that clip up more as a reflection of how much effort and vibes Capleton was giving out at that show in Madrid (in comparison to last night)... if we was all at a performance like Capleton's say, on a Saturday night at More Fire, I reckon our Aussie mob would match them Madridians hype for real...

Binghi Fire

Binghi Fire
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
no doubt!!

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts

jesse - yeah agreed man. i repented in my last post. as for putting up a silly post, well i'm in good company on disya forum!

ha ha... this is true.

re. Richie Spice staring into the distance with a blank look on his face - this is nothing new actually. he has seemed a bit spaced out every other time I've seen him perform. the real difference between last night and the other shows I've seen him do is that he sang much better in the past!

as an aside, I reckon it's worth noting that a lot of JA artists don't sing their tunes "properly" when they perform live, especially when they're playing to a JA audience - it's very customary for them to just sing some lines and let the crowd and backup singers fill in the blanks. not to the degree of last night's show though of course - based on crowd response that was clearly unacceptable.

Binghi Fire

Binghi Fire
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts

In Brisbane it was reported to be Chiny Take away that delayed the show for a few hours..

he shoulda never ordered that spicy roast pork dish. the time spent on the can would would delay even the moon from rising... gives new meaning for the tag "prince of fire" eh? :fire:!! :ill:

plus everyone knows that oz is lame for chinee food. you gotta go os to china for the best chinese food... :wink:

Dizzy dee

Dizzy dee
  • Members
  • 119 posts
Hmmmm!

Where do I start!

This whole tour and especially the Melbourne show taught me a lot as a musician and performer. Can't really speak for Richie's performance and stage presence. I personally was a bit nervous to open for Richie after all that had transpired but I think I gave it 200% even when Richie handed me the mic half way thru and Sophia was still singing the tune called More Life. He was thankful at the end for that and we had a chat after the gig. Wiked dubs were played by Chant Down Sound I must say

As for the announcements, I juss said what I was told to say yuh zeet....At first I was told he is in the building and I announced that and realized its now 30 mins gwaan and way past the scheduled time! Hope punters understand its not my fault though. The silence between support and Richie was really really unprofessional I had to also get back on stage to maybe try keep people entertained with my cover of Jah Cure's Sticky. Later on I was in the VIP and all Support too and those who were supposed to be on the decks and looked down and saw there was no one on decks! I think the DJ kinda gave up since he was playin over time (that was the issue I think) Maybe they needed a Stage Manager??

I enjoyed most of the tunes and great vibes in the dance
Hope you all loved my set

:respect:

iriekid

iriekid
  • Members
  • 60 posts
Sound like dizzy dee was the real vip of the mel show , gwan eat food yute !!!!

Major Krazy

Major Krazy

The Krazy 1

• Members
  • 3,689 posts

As for the announcements, I juss said what I was told to say yuh zeet....At first I was told he is in the building and I announced that and realized its now 30 mins gwaan and way past the scheduled time! Hope punters understand its not my fault though. The silence between support and Richie was really really unprofessional I had to also get back on stage to maybe try keep people entertained with my cover of Jah Cure's Sticky.

Nuthin worse than being on a mic & getting told to announce something & then it turns out to be a half truth/lie. The one who speaks it, is always going to cop some of the blame whether they had any part in it or not... just part & parcel of the job. You get to take the credit when it all goes smoothly & right tho, even if it wasn't you that made it so.

yer a moments silence can build suspense but not after an extra 1 hour frustrating wait & 5 odd mins (seemed like ages at the time) of silence.

ROOTSIFYA

ROOTSIFYA
  • Members
  • 202 posts
What I want to know is who instructed the mixing engineer to have the music so damn loud that punters were in pain, conversation was impossible and there was audible distortion?? Did this come from the venue? The promoter?

What it meant was that Richie was mostly inaudible for the evening, even despite the lost voice. And he seemed to be clearly struggling with these levels himself - I'm guessing the music was also cranked in his foldback monitors as he seemed unable to hear himself a lot of the time.

Anyone who mixes live shows knows how hard it is to get vocal levels competing with a really loud band or system - there's only so much level you can get out of a vocal channel without distortion/feedback.

This show was easily the worst international reggae gig I've attended, but the above technical fuckup took it to a whole other level for me.

:crap:

I did yell at the engineer midway through the show which both helped the sound and my spleen.

Despite this i must say - a genuine thankyou to everyone who tried to make it work.

Vibesman

Vibesman
  • Members
  • 54 posts
Na na na na na na na na BATMAN! No wait. . CRACKHEAD!! No wait. . REFUND!!!!
www.gringovibes.com

sartsow

sartsow
  • Members
  • 15 posts
Dizzy Dee, you were there you were knew what was going on back stage. Why was the performance like this? Why was he so late to the stage? Did something happen that he was off his game or is he just not a very good performer? Was he just too high?

How were the performances in the other cities? Was he “off his game” there as well?

And why did he leave half way through a song?

There’s a lot of questions I have Richie Spice is my favourite artist every one of his songs are gold but now when I listen to them I think of that night.

Tony

Tony
  • Members
  • 1,169 posts
Sounds like the tour was a "Universal Struggle".I bet you he was going out partying after the shows, talking to much ,smoking to much and drinking to much.Combine all that with a stressful flight and jet lag and five shows in a row and you get no voice syndrome.Now singers with his amount of touring know what is happening with their voice and know when they should chill and sleep and don't talk.It's really quite boring on tour being a singer.It's great fun performing but you really can't go out every night with the band after the show for the carry on. Otherwise you don't have fun at the gig because you don't have a voice.It's that simple.It's the bane of touring singers lives.Two things could have happened here.One he caught a chest/throat infection on the plane.Air conditioning hours of it is really bad for singing as well.Or two he just thought fuck it it's Australia ,no one gives a shit .I mean twenty people turned up for his first gig.I bettcha he saw the sunrise after that gig.From then on it was a house of cards and they all finally fell over in Melbourne?At the last show.

It's sad really I feel sorry for Richie.It really didn't help touring morale landing and then doing his first gig for twenty people. And I feel sorry for the promoters watching their investment implode after that bad first turnout in Brizzy.It's funny reading this the way these touring J.A artists always say how they would like to come back with their band?It appears even they are now jack off playing to backing tapes. And $50?

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts

Dizzy Dee, you were there you were knew what was going on back stage. Why was the performance like this? Why was he so late to the stage? Did something happen that he was off his game or is he just not a very good performer? Was he just too high?

I don't think Dizzy can answer this question. We (Chant Down) were in the "VIP room" where Dizzy was after we played at the start of the night, and we never saw Richie Spice (or anyone else connected with the main act) until he walked on stage. He didn't set foot in the room we were in until after the show, and the promoters weren't really around before that either - so we were standing around wondering what was happening the same as everyone else was.

For what it's worth, Richie Spice seemed perfectly normal after the show. He didn't seem out of it at all, just a bit tired I guess...

Torty

Torty
  • Members
  • 335 posts
have to big up Fee fee for this one "di plane land di plane land score a rock fi fitty now mi nah no where it gwaan".... was a big shamozzle since day one this here tour, but i guess big tunes felt they had to pull something off after the Anthony B disaster (also not their fault) instead of just canceling it when the fuckery started to unfold... BIG UPS to Big Tunes for seeing it through when most would have given up...

But thought the venue was great asides from sound issues, Large up to all involved in supporting the show...

:respect: BIG TUNES :bigup:
REGGAE TV
On You Tube - http://www.youtube.c...ggaeTVAustralia

On Facebook - http://www.facebook....-TV/12298528561

"A Tortoise only makes progress when him stick his neck out!"

Dizzy dee

Dizzy dee
  • Members
  • 119 posts
@ Sartsow as Jesse I said before I cant answer the question LOL and its true..
but as I said before I can only answer about my performance, I was watching Richie like any other person in the audience. Luckily he walked in after a few minutes of the controversial silence of which I thought that was his cue!

Jacob

Jacob
  • Members
  • 435 posts
I'm not sure how unfair the accusations were, but sounds to me that in Melbourne he put on a crappy 40 minute show and charged people $50. I wasn't there but I'm prepared to trust the people who have said it was terrible, they are well respected.

40 mins and $50 = rip off, forget human frailty. If your sick you cancel a show, you just don't mislead and rip people off like that. And if you can't find something nice to eat in a city like Melbourne (food capital of Australia) then you are one fussy person.

(edit) Seems what I was replying to has just been deleted. Weird.

Major Krazy

Major Krazy

The Krazy 1

• Members
  • 3,689 posts
Apologies Jacob,

Mamma Trees has been trying to post that same thing through several different ways but she is banned from the forum & I will delete it no matter who posts it.

Whether any of her points were relevant or not, is not the point she is banned & no longer can share her opinions on this site.

Jacob

Jacob
  • Members
  • 435 posts
Wow, what did I miss? :) lol