Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Marley

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

Grapple

Grapple
  • Members
  • 3,057 posts
the problem with hdmi..is that often the audio dont work. theres ways to try adjust pc settings so it should work...but i couldn't get it sussed - instead I run audio straight from pc and just the picture to the tv. works on my set up because the laptop speakers were already on side of tv. I have had a box for nearly a year...but got hdmi recently just to watch coachella streaming on the tv ....but picture is so much better than the box that now I'm transferring stuff back from the external HD to the laptop to watch stuff..... also with hdmi you can watch the youtube / streaming clips on tv without downloading

Grapple

Grapple
  • Members
  • 3,057 posts
Static you go overseas a bit why not get a laptop or notebook

mama trees

mama trees
  • Members
  • 573 posts
This film is screening in Perth at LUNA Cinemas (Leederville and Fremantle).

MARLEY THE DEFINITIVE STORY (tba) 144min

STARTS JUNE 21.....
Opening Night at Luna Leederville Thurs June 21 from 7.15pm featuring Reggae music, Siena's pizzas and beer
Tickets at normal cinema prices. Film Starts 8.00pm. Now on sale and online.

Supported by Mumma Trees, General Justice and Jamdown Vershun reggae radio show 92.1FM , & Sound Solutions

and Luna on SX Friday June 22 for a Post Screening Celebration at Higher Fyah the Reggae Club at Bar Orient following the 6.30pm session.

Tickets on sale shortly

We have some tickets to giveaway this Friday at higher Fyah - The Reggae Club - at Bar Orient (39 High St Fremantle)

Would love to see more reggae films on the big screen - Big up LUNA CINEMAS!
http://www.reggaedancehallwa.com/

Dem pop down
but we STILL HOT !!!

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts
Grapple sincerely thank you for your suggestions. My gf has an Ipad that's enough for me. But when I go away mi prefer go to cafe an use an pc. I'm 'particular' apparently. :lol:
Rodger Steffens sent me dis review of de Marley film through his eyes as a contributor and a Los Angeles native...

"Meantime, wondering if you've seen the "Marley" film. This is what I've been telling people who write me for my thoughts on it:

Lately lots of folks have been asking me about the "Marley" film, released theatrically on 4/20. It’s a documentary. Still no biopic in sight, although Rita's book has been optioned with its potential film to be directed by Oliver Stone. Blackwell's constant opposition to any biopic is still maintained. He claims that Bob's career would be finished by such a picture - an amazingly short-sighted position in my opinion. Did people stop buying Doors' records after Oliver's film?

The Marley doc started with Scorcese, who dropped out because of scheduling difficulties. Next up was Jonathan Demme, who hired me as music adviser and went on to name me “Associate Producer.” He worked on "Stay with the Rhythm" for 16 months, completed a lovely, very rootsy picture, and had it rejected by its producer, billionaire Stephen Bing. Bing then hired Kevin MacDonald, the director of "The Last King of Scotland," and his movie premiered a few weeks ago in Berlin to fine reviews. I'm credited as “US Archive Consultant” on that one, and it's got a great deal of material - audio, video and photographs - from my collection. Demme's film had full songs, MacDonald's only has snippets, but has a lot of fine new interviews.

I finally saw it at the beginning of March in a small Beverley Hills screening room on Rodeo Drive that held about 50 people, although there were only about 15 of us there. We watched alongside Santa Davis, and at various times we were all moved to tears.

MacDonald’s take is a fine, sober-minded big-screen production. Although there are no complete performances and not very much new in the way of musical footage, MacDonald has done a comprehensive, fair-minded, deeply researched and often moving film that I feel proud to be part of. My only complaints: no mention of Bob's youthful abandonment in Kingston and no UN Peace Medal mention, both major events in his life, especially the former. The theme of the film is alienation and rejection, and this was the most traumatic alienation of all and colored everything to come in his life. Its absence is astonishing.

There's a tiny bit of the bedroom tape, but not the key part. They cut it off just before the most haunting part of the song where Bob’s voice cracks heartbreakingly as he sings (perhaps for the first time ever) “me nuh know how me and dem a go work things out.”

There's almost nothing of Harvard Stadium's Amandla concert in which he made fiery speeches. The ferocious footage that Demme found of Bob at the Marvin Gaye concert doing "Trench Town Rock" did not find its way into the MacDonald version. As they talk about Bob’s final performances at Madison Square Garden, opening for the Commodores, they show footage from Dortmund, Germany three months earlier.

That said, he's evoked a lot of fine sound bites from people deeply involved in Bob’s personal life - even a bit with two of the white(ish) Marleys listening to "Cornerstone," which is described as Bob's response to being thrown out of the Marley construction company's office when he asked for help in buying a car so he could distribute his records. Doubly powerful then, the lyric "The stone that builder refused/shall be the head cornerstone." The relatives seemed quite taken aback, particularly his half-sister (by Norval and another black woman evidently).

It will be the go-to doc for anyone wanting to learn about him. They even found the aged German nurse who worked with him at Issels clinic. The final section goes on a bit about Bob’s final daze. Demme’s ended in a very upbeat upful way, a nice way to leave the theater. To be fair, MacDonald’s ends with scenes of people around the world dancing and singing to The Prophet’s timeless tunes.

Monday night April 17 I hosted a screening of the "Marley" documentary at the George Lucas Theater at the USC film school after which I spoke for an hour and answered audience questions.

The following night was a star-studded red-carpet opening at the Cinerama Dome on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood. The shock was that we (Ras Michael and his queen, two reggae photographers, Mary and I) were virtually the only people in the theater wearing Marley clothing or anything red, gold and green. It was an industry crowd, not a reggae audience, invited by billionaire Steve Bing, dressed like a beach bum, to his formal premiere."

Steffens also sent me dis blog bout it...
http://fastfilm1.blo...-hollywood.html
Madda dan...

ISIS

ISIS
  • Members
  • 1,472 posts

although Rita's book has been optioned with its potential film to be directed by Oliver Stone.

:suicide:
Link Up | SabataSound@gmail.com | FB: SabataSound Yusiit | Twitter: @SabataSound

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts
LOL. Mi guh tell yu sintin real funny when wi talk privately...
Madda dan...

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts
Yu know what's more amusing is who will Stone get to play Marley? Lenny Kravitz or sintin... :lol:
Madda dan...

Grapple

Grapple
  • Members
  • 3,057 posts

Grapple sincerely thank you for your suggestions. My gf has an Ipad that's enough for me. But when I go away mi prefer go to cafe an use an pc. I'm 'particular' apparently. :lol:

I don't take laptop overseas for the internet ...more for the plane ride and watch movie in hotel room.

Grapple

Grapple
  • Members
  • 3,057 posts
excuse the pun...but i dread the idea of a Marley biopic .....and a Hendrix one which I hear Andre 3000 signed up for.

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts
Yeah I don't watch movies pon computer. And watch movies on de likkle likkle screen pon plane. Gf takes Ipad away fe net...
Madda dan...

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts

excuse the pun...but i dread the idea of a Marley biopic .....and a Hendrix one which I hear Andre 3000 signed up for.

LOL Andre look like Hendrix fe real! Rate Andre...
Madda dan...

ISIS

ISIS
  • Members
  • 1,472 posts

Rate Andre...

As a Actor? Mi only si im in Idlewile and Be Cool, feel im haf some potential fi im get a good project. As a rapper he's one of the greatest.
Link Up | SabataSound@gmail.com | FB: SabataSound Yusiit | Twitter: @SabataSound

Grapple

Grapple
  • Members
  • 3,057 posts
Well we'll see how he goes if he goes...I rate him big time for music....think there was talk of prince playing Jimi back in the day. Obv choice for Bob would be one of his pickney

Grapple

Grapple
  • Members
  • 3,057 posts
Andre popped up in a few things....maybe a batman film or something he was pretty bad as a gangster

Grapple

Grapple
  • Members
  • 3,057 posts
Oh my bad...it was probably be cool. Everything about that filn sucked. Worst sequel ever.

ISIS

ISIS
  • Members
  • 1,472 posts
Posted Image

Grapple

Grapple
  • Members
  • 3,057 posts
Haha. Yeah that works.