Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

U.K. Lovers Rock...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

Selecta Bing

Selecta Bing

LICK IT BACK SELECTA !!

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

selecta_bing

King David

King David
  • Members
  • 11 posts
I'm clearly a bit late with an input on this discussion, but I am in the UK, so let's just put it down to the time difference ;)

I stumbled across this discussion and wanted to add my own little opinion.

Just want to rep the Lovers Rock scene, as its a music i grew up listening to on pirate radio stations running in my home town of Sheffield.... SCR, fresh FM :bbox:

It went and still goes far beyond 'silly games', 'im still in love' and tunes like that, and is just a style for a mood when you are in a dance with your partner sharing a moment. After all, Love between man and woman is as much a part of life as the roots and culture and the politics and....oh wait - it is the START of Life...! :yes:

Its true - there is some soppy stuff from the heyday of Lovers Rock, but scratch beneath the surface (as you need to do in any kind of music to find the real good things that dont make the charts) and you find some real gems.

Let's not knock it, as it is just as an important part of the genetic make-up of the multi-faceted entity that is Reggae Music as any other style, be it Roots, Ragga, Dancehall etc. I presume everyone who is a member of this forum is an avid lover of this art form of music.

Its not to say one should like every style it has to offer. I love conscious Music, still I personally get bored listening to Dub Steppers all night (plenty of sounds in UK play just that!). If one style aint your ting, no worries, but credit where it is due, 'cause some styles and some tunes touch and strongly effect peoples lives - so is the power of music, so no sense in seeking to diss it.

This tune for instance gives me such memories, dunchillin, you remember?:

Here it is live in 2012, just to show its still a big tune...

To answer the brother - Sheffield had plenty of sounds back then - a big sound called Trojan started out in Sheffield - and one called Unitone is still running after more than 30 years, and they are a big inspiration for Riddimtion, who I play with. They still run dances for elders in the community to go and listen to Lovers Rock and classics from back in the day, to rejoice in memories that helped to make the music what it is today: and what it is is a force that keeps growing.

Bless the debator - 'Low the hater - Praise the Creator

King David

King David
  • Members
  • 11 posts
P.S Will Powa nah pack up either

Stryka D

Stryka D
  • Members
  • 449 posts
Good post KD

Riddimtion- tuff as steel

bluejeanjunky

bluejeanjunky
  • Members
  • 3 posts
KD has a great insight about it. As for me, it's been there... it's basically the same music, we just give our own name and meaning.

scarysquids

audiomasteringman