Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BIG YOUTH & THIRD WORLD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts
RED STRIPE, PBS RADIO & TERRASPHERE present DIRECT FROM JAMAICA - REGGAE LEGENDS

BIG YOUTH for the first time in Australia with SELECTOR EARL GATESHEAD
from TROJAN SOUND PLUS THIRD WORLD back by massive public demand !

TOGETHER IN CONCERT !

Posted Image

WEDNESDAY 8th FEB 2006
The Prince Bandroom - 29 FITZROY STREET, ST.KILDA
SUPPORT BY CHANT DOWN SOUND, HEARTICAL HI-FI & RANKING YONI
DOORS OPEN 8.30PM TIX $55.00 + BF - Info Line 03 9536 1166
Bookings : Ticketek - 132 849 www.ticketek.com or The Prince - 03 9536 1168
www.princebandroom.com.au or Polyester, Collectors Corner & Greville record stores

THURSDAY 9th FEB 2006
The Metro - 624 GEORGE STREET, SYDNEY
SUPPORT BY NASTY TEK, FIREHOUSE SOUND & BASSLINES
DOORS OPEN 8.30PM TIX $55.00 + BF- Info Line 02 9287 2000
Bookings : Ticketek - 132 849 www.ticketek.com or The Metro - 02 9264 2447
or www.metrotheatre.com.au plus Fish Records Newtown & Redeye Records City
Play by the king for love is all I bring ...

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts
BIG YOUTH & THIRD WORLD

WEDNESDAY 8 FEB 2006
The Prince Bandroom - Melbourne

RUNNING ORDER
Doors Open 8.30pm

8.30pm 9.00pm - RANKING YONI
9.00pm 9.30pm - HEARTICAL HI-FI & GUESTS
9.30pm 11.00pm - THIRD WORLD approx
11.00pm 11.30pm - CHANT DOWN SOUND & GUESTS
11.30pm 1.00am - BIG YOUTH approx
1.00am Close - CHANT DOWN SOUND & GUESTS

THURSDAY 9 FEB 2006
The Metro Theatre - Sydney

RUNNING ORDER
Doors Open 8.30pm

8.30pm 9.00pm - BASSLINES
9.00pm 9.30pm - FIREHOUSE
9.30pm 11.00pm - BIG YOUTH approx
11.00pm 11.30pm - NASTY TEK SOUND
11.30pm 1.00am - THIRD WORLD approx
1.00am Close - NASTY TEK SOUND

basmati

basmati

soundsystem done miracles for reggae music

• Members
  • 2,548 posts
I have arrived, am in St Kilda B)

Bellyas

Bellyas
  • Members
  • 1,305 posts
Hurrah! Welcome to Sunny Melburn. See you at the Prince, Basmati! :ites:
Housewife's Choice

dangerous

dangerous
  • Culture Don
  • 3,773 posts
See you there!
Bass is maternal, when it's loud I feel safer

the shadefoot

the shadefoot
  • Members
  • 1,559 posts
so, how was it?
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act!" - George Orwell

nafet

nafet
  • Members
  • 637 posts
how'd people enjoy this one? who was the man selecting tunes for big youth?

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts
It was very enjoyable, but there was a few occurrences last night which perhaps could've been improved. It's a dam hard job for the organisers and venue to make sure everything runs smoothly on the night without hiccups, unfortunately sometimes things happen outside of their control ..

Overall it was a great evening, just to have a veteren of this calibre will definately be a memorable night. It's a shame Jah Youth didn't run through some of his bigger tunes (where was Screaming Target, or Lightning Flash?), instead a little too many ballad accapellas. I think Trojan & Big Youth together probably wasn't the greatest combination, but Third world nailed it as expected, class musicians ... reggae ambassadors !

Big respect to the organisers, you did a great job ... your hard works are much appreciated !

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts
Big Youth's selector was Earl Gateshead from Trojan Sound (UK). A real gentleman and great guy to talk to, however his selections could've been a little tighter, but he was only following Big Youth's orders which explains the low sound levels ..

Also, for those who didn't recognise the elder looking keyboard player from Third World .. it was the one Robbie Lynn! Original player of instrument from the early days !

http://www.roots-arc...com/artist/2409

Respect !

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts
yep, I agree with Yoni... a great night, but Big Youth's set could have been much better... a lot of his old classics were noteably absent, and the sound was pretty average - some fumbling with the CD players combined with Big Youth's directions to keep bringing the levels down.

Third World were excellent as expected, and in doing Jah Glory (which they didn't do last time despite me hassling them hardcore!) they really made my night...

respect to all involved...

:flag:

nafet

nafet
  • Members
  • 637 posts
really enjoyed third world too, some great extended instrumental sections. but yeh, have to say I was dissapointed with big youth, especially with the cds skipping to silence, then running a riddim he just played, not his fault but certainly killed the vibes a bit.

Itations

Itations

Boom wha dis!

• Culture Don
  • 4,974 posts
Ive got mixed feelings about last night's show. Overall, Im glad I decided to go at the last minute. I didn't catch Third World last time they were here, so hearing them do Satta made my whole night worthwhile.

The man of the hour, the one I had been waiting through Third World to see, finally came on the stage around 12:15. His full sequenced shirt caught every light on stage, and he rotated across the stage like a huge purple mirror ball. The packed audience was pretty vibed from Third World's set, and greeted Jah Youth with a fiery Melburn applause. The first 2 tunes were boom!. Great Big Youth performance. Exactly what I had anticipated.

Unfortunately, like Jesse and Ranking said, the sound was not good at all. After the first 2 dynamic tunes, muffled bass and subdued mids kinda killed the vibe. To his credit, Big Youth solidered on and like a professional and persisted through the obvious drop of crowd responce.

It was kind of a catch 22. Performers need crowd energy to get vibed and boost their performance. The crowd needs a vibed performer, to give back that energy. I honestly think it was the sound that let both crowd and performer down. I think the fall-back on stage was too low - he couldnt hear himself, which is why he kept telling Earl Gateshead to turn it down.

And on that point, nice guy or not, Gateshead did not deliver what I would except from an international selector. Sorry...

Overall, whilst a bit dissapointed with my Big Youth experience, I'm glad I was there. The man is a legend, a veteran, and above all, an -original- DJ. I still hold him in the highest respects, and put it all down to bad luck on the night.

Respect to Simon from Terrasphere for organising the night. Thanks for bringing us so many acts over the years, and I look forward to what you have in store for us in the future. :respect:

dangerous

dangerous
  • Culture Don
  • 3,773 posts
Yeah, I been waiting to comment on this until the Sydney guys were off to their show as I didn't want them heading off feeling they were in for a dud night.

Third World - well for a start I don't really like any of their albums, save for a couple of their own tunes and some covers. They're a great band of musicians no doubt, but really the highlights for me were the few covers they did, although it was a bit of medley which I thought was a bit corny. I would have liked to have heard them do Reggae Ambassador - they played it very briefly but then went on to other things. 96 degrees in the shade was good, but by the time they played it I was kinda over them. I reckon that if they had done a show of covers, and done them all the way through rather than just medley style, I'd have enjoyed it a lot more. But then as I said, I'm not a big Third World fan and they weren't the reason I went. It wasn't all bad, Satta Amasagana was wicked.

Big Youth - well hearing him doing his soundcheck and chattin pon the mic at the beginning of Yoni's set, I was expecting big things. It went off to a flying start, but yeah he kind of lost me during that long acapella, which I think was a bit gratuitously long. Also, his nursery rhyme medley didn't do it for me. And when Earl Gateshead's CD started skipping... well I don't mean to be a snob and didn't think it would bother me whether people play vinyl or CD, but I just kind of felt he was a bit of a fake. They call themselves Trojan Soundsystem, but they have no soundsystem and they play from CDs.

Having said that, I have no regrets about going. It's always a bit of a gamble - when Toots played with Burning Spear, I went for Burning Spear and ended up liking Toots' set a lot more. I had a good night all the same, and big respects to the man Big Youth - even if he didn't do it for me on the night he is still a legend. And I know that with a different set, it could have been a whole lot better, as just hearing him before the show in the soundcheck was wicked. Anyway, gotta go knock up some dinner now, so I'll end here :)

Well, actually I'll just add that although the above sounds like it was terrible, there were definitely quite a few highlights throughout the night that were really good, it was just inconsistent.

Breddah D

Breddah D
  • Members
  • 318 posts
Agree with all that's been said regarding last night's gig... it was a shame that Big Youth had the problems with the sound, and he just didn't seem to catch the crowd the way he should have.
I also missed Third World last time so it was a buzz to see them last night playing so many of their classics.
Big highlight of the night was meeting up with all the fellow boardies - new faces and old! :wink:
"How can one man gun Jah?
Ganja is a bird in Australia."

"I man will never die, no one can kill I."

"Computer is becoming so much a part of people's life, that soon people don't want to go shit anymore, they send the computer to do that..."

- P.Tosh

dangerous

dangerous
  • Culture Don
  • 3,773 posts
Yep for sure Breddah - seems like everyone on the boards (Melbourne-wise) was there!

dangerous

dangerous
  • Culture Don
  • 3,773 posts

Respect to Simon from Terrasphere for organising the night. Thanks for bringing us so many acts over the years, and I look forward to what you have in store for us in the future. :respect:

Absolutely! :respect:

the shadefoot

the shadefoot
  • Members
  • 1,559 posts
thanks for the reviews people!

next time the man should make use of the wealth of talented local selectors perhaps...........

Robbie Lynn has got some serious sessions under his belt! would have been great to see musos with experience like that playing..........

:jflag:

also, sydney and melb peeps, i would love to read some street press reviews if there are any and if anyone feels like typing them in or something :D
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act!" - George Orwell

basmati

basmati

soundsystem done miracles for reggae music

• Members
  • 2,548 posts
Third World and Heartical Hi-Fi were my highlights as well as a couple of Red Stripes :D

Everything's prolly been said so I won't go on, just glad I was there

Prince Andrew

Prince Andrew
  • Members
  • 976 posts
OK the Sydney show from my point of view was not very good. Others may have liked it and they can share their views.

I wasn't excited about seeing the legend Big Youth cause I had seen him twice in Jamaica and didn't want to say anything before the gig to put people off cause the hype was rather big to me. Saw him at Kingston Stadium for a big independence day dance and he was booed off stage. Also saw him at a vetrans night at the old Sunspash concert and he along with the Meleodians were the only disapointing performers.

First off Big Youths style is pretty limited to a chanting style. Jah Jah Jah Jah Woe Woe Woe which would have been cool in 1972 in a Dancehall evionment but on stage those lyrics just don't make for a good stage show in my opinion, others may have a different view. No screaming target or S90 Skank? Seriously wondered what some of the people who paid their money thought.

The Sydney show sounds indenticle to the Melbourne show with the first two tunes being good followed by low sound and poor cordination from the selecter. I met and spoke to Earl Gateshead later and yes he was a nice man but from what he told me he is just a guy from the trojan office out to rep for the Trojan label becuase they felt they needed someone out there to compete with the selecters from Soul Jazz Records. So the guy has no real experience in DJing.

By the way am I understanding it correctly that Big Youth played after Third World at the Melbourne show?

Now Third World. I was never into Third World but respected them highly as a band and recognise the big tunes. I always knew them as a Reggae fusion band mixing Reggae up with Disco, funk Jazz, pop and Rock. Lots of lush sounds and heaps of preccusion seemed to me to define the group along with Cat Coores guitar playing. I mean Third World were really a band in the true sense of the word not a Reggae band that could rinse off the latest popular riddims in the Dancehall.

What I found was a band that was stripped back to the bones and was literally like a drum and bass thing like an early 80's Roots Radics type thing. Had all the husk taken off it which to me is what made Third World what they were. If you can ever get to see footage on video of Third world back in their heyday you will see what I mean, very differnt from that band last night. The songs were there last night but really felt the band were a shadow of their former selves. Seemed to have lost all the elements that defined them apart from the songs themselves.

On a funny note Nasty Tek were advertised and sceduled to play after Big Youth and before Third world. Well we got ready went up on stage plugged in the headphones and some roadie goes up to Earl Gateshead and said can you turn the record down we're trying to put a CD on which I thought hmmm that's funny not really neccessary we'll just play after that record. This PA guy says to me we can't put you on now and I said well have you told the promoter and he goes yeah. In the past I would have argued our position but with the amount of stupidity in this glorified country town know as a inetrnationally renowned city we just laughed waved to the crowd and left the stage.

Fact is they could have very easily have had us do our advertised spot. We did something very similar when Sly and Robbie was here and all you had to do was drag the table off stage which takes like 30 secs before the band comes on. When Third World did come on which was almost an hour later they really took their time before they got going which makes the PA guys arguement rediculous, but hey that's Sydney for you. The CD that was put on was a mix CD on half the tunes we would have played mixed really badly. Second time in the week Nasty Tek were advertised to play but were not allowed to play, no worries you can come and hear us at the next Make it Clap at Hermann's.....maybe LOL
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you and then you win!

dangerous

dangerous
  • Culture Don
  • 3,773 posts
stupid - Nasty Tek would have been the highlight of the night I'm sure if they had been allowed to play.

and yes, in Melb it was Third World then Big Youth (with Chantdown's first set in between)