Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

TOOTS & THE MAYTALS / LUCIANO / WARRIOR KING

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts
Posted Image

Direct From Jamaica

Reggae Rising

Toots and the Maytals, Luciano and the Jah Messenjah Band plus Warrior King

On the back of their Bluesfest 2011 appearances, two of Reggae’s most famous and enduring acts will play sideshow performances in Sydney and Melbourne.

Toots and the Maytals, one of the Greatest Jamaican Reggae artists EVER, will be joined by one of the most important reggae singers in decades Luciano and the Jah Messenjah Band together with rising star, Warrior King.

First formed in Jamaica in the early 1960s, Grammy Award winners Toots and the Maytals have been spreading their unique combination of gospel, ska, soul and reggae around the world for more than 40 years. Toots and the Maytals were credited with coining the term ‘reggae’ when they released their hit single Do the Reggay in 1968. International recognition followed in the early 1970s with Monkey Man, Funky Kingston and Reggae Got Soul. The band’s iconic track Pressure Drop featured on the soundtrack to the 1972 film The Harder They Come, which introduced reggae to much of the world.

With the release of his 1995 breakthrough album Where There Is Life, through to his 2010 release United States of Africa, Jamaica’s Luciano is regarded as one of the most important reggae singers in decades. The combination of accessible, positive lyrical themes and contemporary rhythms as well as his commitment to the true spirit of Jamaican reggae, has seen his followers dub him "The Messenger". Having toured Australia twice before and with 16 studio albums already to his name it is clear that irrespective of which genre the baritone sings, his message remains spiritual and cultural.

Rising reggae artist Warrior King, burst onto the Jamaican music scene in 2001 with his debut album Virtuous Woman. With his vibrant and uplifting lyrics and addictive roots rhythms Warrior King now comes to Australia for the first time.

Toots and the Maytals, Luciano and the Jah Messenjah Band plus Warrior King

SYDNEY
Saturday 23 April, 7.30pm
The Enmore Theatre
118-132 Enmore Road (closest cross street - Simmons St), Newtown
Tickets: Enmore Theatre Box Office on 02 9550 3666, www.enmoretheatre.com.au or www.ticketek.com.au or 132 849

MELBOURNE
Sunday 24 April, 7.30pm
Palace Theatre
20-30 Bourke St, City
Tickets: Palace Theatre Box Office on 03 9650 0180, www.palace.com.au or www.ticketek.com.au or 132 849
For more information about Bluesfest visit www.bluesfest.com.au
Play by the king for love is all I bring ...

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts
wow, could they have made Warrior King's name any smaller? and who is Bonnie Casey?

Mikey Glamour

Mikey Glamour

Brown $tick of Dynamite

• Members
  • 9,101 posts
Since Toots inna di mix.......Mr Danger sent me this Doco made on Toots and The Maytals.......Big file but check it out forward!!!!!!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J6SVWUUI
NAME - MIKEY GLAMOUR
ALIAS - BROWN $TICK OF DYNAMITE
AGE - NONE OF YAH BLOODCLAAT BIZNIZ
OCCUPATION - INTIMATE SERVICE PROVIDER/MINISTER FOR ARGUMENT AND REASONING
PLACE OF WORK - SELF EMPLOYED SPERM BANK - GYAL COME GET AH LOAN
POSITION - LIZARD LAP/FOOT PON SHOULDER
CURRENT LOCATION - INNA YU GYAL/UP IN THE HILLS AH HOLD AH MEDITATION
CITY - GUN SMOKE/GANGSTA TOWN/SYN CITY
COUNTRY - CONVICT COUNTRY
ROLE MODELS - KING SOLOMAN/MIKE TYSON
HOBBIES - "IS ALL ABOUT DI JOY"
DIS LIKES - GYAL WHE TOO STOOSH
FAVOURITE WEBSITE - user posted imageDONT BE NOSEY

FI MI FACE BOOK LINK
MY SPACE LINK FI DI GLAMMS
Hortense Phillipa Waisome aka "Mum" 15.7.52 - 20.3.05 For ever missed but never forgotten

United Nations of Reggae

United Nations of Reggae
  • Members
  • 8 posts
Toots .... ! so glad he's going to make it out to WA for the West Coast Blues n Roots Festival. Too often we miss out here in the West ... but NOT this time. So love his songs; our band Dilip n the DAVs - do interpretations of some of his material and boy does it get everyone dancing !! Ai Ai Ai ....

troublemaker

troublemaker
  • Members
  • 527 posts
Heard a quick interview with Warrior King on zipfm this morning talking about the Luci, Toots and WK tour of Europe and their upcoming Australia tour. He's such a humble guy!

Bazoo

Bazoo
  • Members
  • 72 posts
NINETY ONE DOLLARS?!?!?! Are they serious?! This is unbelievable. Do you WANT me to not go and see artists I love? For Christ's sake man...

armagideontime

armagideontime
  • Members
  • 638 posts
Actually think it's pretty good value. I mean Luciano on his own show would be $40ish, Warrior King (would probably never get a chance to see him with out a show like this) maybe $25-30ish and then the big man toots could probably command a $60 ticket price on his own. Appreciate it's a lot of money, hardly an 'unbelievable' price imo though.

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts
yeah, knowing how much these shows cost to put on - especially with full bands - this doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I do like the way you tell us how you feel though Bazoo, and I had to smile when I read your post... :)

Reggaetown Festival

Reggaetown Festival
  • Members
  • 559 posts
Toots and the band were AMAZING!!

well worth the dollars:))

never get weary
In Unity is Strength and ensured succes

DollaMix

DollaMix
  • Members
  • 515 posts
Saw all three of these at Blues fest.

Warrior King was wicked! But he wrapped up too quick on 'Virtuous Woman' (seemed like 20 seconds of the tune). Maybe someone called 'time' on him coz he only had half an hour set.

Luciano was same as last 2 times I,ve seen him. Good but a tad boring its got to be said. Also I missed the Meters coz I was locked into the reggae tent. oh well..

Toots was really good fun! Heaps of that 'call and response' thing that really got the crowd amped and involved. Played all the classics and The festival crowd was eating it up fully!

My 2 cents
MADANTZ INVASION

Grapple

Grapple
  • Members
  • 3,057 posts
$90 does seem about $20 too much..but good deal if you aint seen these acts before. Toots is good live. hit after funky hit. uciano is my favourite artist these days but i kinda agree he wasnt amazing in Byron a few years ago..although he was in parts

DollaMix

DollaMix
  • Members
  • 515 posts
At the Byron show he was just like a cruisy warm up act for the mayhem and destruction that Trooper provided. :wink:
That dj set from him was one of the best reggae experiences I've had in Australia :alarm:
MADANTZ INVASION

fee

fee
  • Members
  • 15 posts

wow, could they have made Warrior King's name any smaller? and who is Bonnie Casey?

I was thinking the same thing lol

fee

fee
  • Members
  • 15 posts
anyone know the running times for melbourne show?

cuphead

cuphead
  • Members
  • 189 posts
well what a night at the enmore theatre in sydney; boney casey outta canada kick tings off wid some nice vibes, then warrior king wid luciano band backing did all his big tunes and was wicked, luciano then burst on stage and did a classic set including its me again jah, one way ticket, sweep over my soul and many other early 90,s tunes,most tunes included extended dub versions, having first seen luciano in ja 93 he never disappoint. toots was good but had trouble with the sound, did all the hits, highlight was when luciano join toots on stage. top value night, melbourne massive get in early for warrior king.

Jubei

Jubei
  • Members
  • 185 posts
Got there late so missed Warrior King and first half of Luciano... Had a good night, but was really dissapointed with Toots' band not having any horns...
'There are no losers in the game of adding hats to robots' - random toilet grafiti