Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Good Vibrations Festival

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Al Good

Al Good
  • Members
  • 279 posts

And mi haven't had a bong since NYE '99 an hadn't had one for three years before dat. Nasty fucken tings dem... :)

I blaze from mi chalice I fi made from a sprite can :wink:

Seriously though, on Fat Freddy's...when did the fat Trombone player's dancing become the main focus of their act?
In Melbourne (don't know bout the other shows, obviously) there were barely any vocals, just endless jamming that didn't change or go anywhere, and he was front & centre stage prancing about in his underwear :blink: Disappointing

Jr Gong was wicked!! Did anyone else have trouble hearing both his and Nas' vocals for the first 15 minustes or so? I could barely hear them. It got better pretty quick though.

Luda was a bit of a non-entity in the end.

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts
Yu know mi woulda stayed fe Ludacris (im alright an mi have some l.p.'s) but mi couldn't badda wid it...
Fat Freddys Flop encapsulate the large majority of New Zealands reggae psyche. Yu know when dem kept saying originator dis an dat mi kept thinking if me had a bazooka an start fire shots pon dem dat woulda been more original...
Posted Image
Madda dan...

general justice

general justice
  • Members
  • 1,343 posts
TIX reduced to $70, Perth THE ONLY act besides JNR GONG is ALOE BLAC , AWSOME TIGHT 3 pce band and the best SOULFUL voice I heard in years ,TALENTED YOUTH , fe tru DO NOT MISS this new soul singer ALOE I NEED A DOLLAR " BLAC ,, :respect: YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST
Who Jah Bless .....
and yu know the rest!

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts
Aloe Blacc released his first solo record in 2002 and was known by underground heads as part of Emanon since de mid 90's hardly a new/recent artist dat! His partner is Sydneys very own MC/dancer/tv presenter an mi fren Maya Jupiter he lives wid in Cali. Just cah yu just find out an keep talkin bout it like a man who just find god, nuff of we know bout tings from de time dem start...
Madda dan...

Simmo T

Simmo T
  • Members
  • 1,100 posts
Yow it like Aloe Blacc n Good Vibes ah NEED silly ole fak up Geoffrey to survive! Eediot!
<span style='font-family:Impact'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>COOL WEN MI COME BOUT</span></span>

<a href='http://twitter.com/SimmoTee' target='_blank'>http://twitter.com/SimmoTee</a>

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts
Well right now it look like GV need all de help it can not to loose more money so if GI Joe Jeffrey can help dat a few less dollars dem guh loose...
Madda dan...

ISIS

ISIS
  • Members
  • 1,472 posts
Is like di man neva hear a Stones Throw before.
Link Up | SabataSound@gmail.com | FB: SabataSound Yusiit | Twitter: @SabataSound

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts
At least he's heard of Bob Marley cah im still can eat a food offa dat name deh...
Posted Image
Madda dan...

general justice

general justice
  • Members
  • 1,343 posts
Yes Like , #1hater No2 bully bwio n # sISSie, Actually went to see ,ALOE when he pas . thru Town 2weeks ago .. NO they didn't,,
Did ya simO no2 ???, No you didnt >>>> Well I did & thought he was great , So I TELL PEOPLE who are not as knoweledgable as Reece ETC to HEAR. Anyway This it ah how it run >>>>>now they talkin bout him .!!! ALOE ya Large ,JOB dun , Like I said go and see him PERTH and judge for yourself :respect:
Who Jah Bless .....
and yu know the rest!

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts
Mi put dis above post in google translate an it still never mek sense...
Madda dan...

ISIS

ISIS
  • Members
  • 1,472 posts
Posted Image
Link Up | SabataSound@gmail.com | FB: SabataSound Yusiit | Twitter: @SabataSound

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts
If mi laff mi dead...
Madda dan...

dunchillin

dunchillin
  • Members
  • 4,092 posts
Went to Good Vibrations on Saturday down the Gold Coast. Caught the last 30 mins of Zennith after somehow getting by the sniffer dogs and swat teams, bag search and water grab and then pretty much staked a spot in the shade near the roots tent til Erykah Badu.

Man, she was WICKED! Her voice still pure gold and hasn't lost a thing since I first heard of her in '97...send shivers up your spine nuh business! Not too familiar with her "newer" stuff...I'm all about 'Baduizm'...but she dropped enough of them to keep me well happy, and the rest just as good - the trip was worth it just for her.

Damien Marley was also don. Less Nas, more Damien I say - Damien a prop the man up musically (cue all my mates saying 'nah man, what de fuck!'), but bwai me no lie, I had the wickedest dance I've had for ages (though I managed to fuck up both me knees bouncing and spent the last 15 mins able to only dance with the top half of my body...incidentally, you ever tried to limp off a dance floor with 2 fucked knees? Like a double limp triple step). Finished with Could You Be Loved which frankly I Could Have Done Without, but it had the whole a the crowd up on their feet and dancing, as in all those scattered round the hills and far away - nuff lighter ina the air and had a well nice vibe. I'm sure if anyone could be bothered to scan back through my old posts they'd find I'd said it before, but I rate Damien as the wickedest Marley since Bob - the only one I really feel (bar Stephens works) that aint trying to cash in on the Marley brand too much to put me off, and with his own wicked vibe that I really ...vibe off!

Well worth the trip, even made me hate festivals a little bit less than I do. Did.

Anyway, I have to big up a man like Ranking one time, and all the people in attendance. One thing I hate about festivals in all the fucked up nob heads pinging brain cells and acting like idiots, but the place seemed free of them, at least in my corner, and well behaved. Mind you, at $9 a pop for a midstrength everyone was probably stone cold sober! Anyway, nice nice vibe and best musical break I've had for a while.

10 out of 10 for acts I wanted to see kicking arse like I hoped they would, 1 out of 10 for the festival organisers, and that just for booking said same artists. Otherwise they're a pack of money hungry cunts who fuck up a good thing by emptying out your wallet for piss poor service. 1 out of 10 for the police too, whose dogs are faking it and whose undercover Ds sit on a dashed way bag of herb while scanning the crowd for likely suspects, and then get up and go leaving it for collection.

By the way, for future reference, I have it on very good authority that you can fit 250ml of spirits in a ziplock bag that fits nicely, and water-tightly, in the front of ladies' bras thereby passing undetected by dogs, door bitches, Ds, and dum dum security.

Good vibes indeed :)

Edit:

Mi put dis above post in google translate an it still never mek sense...

I nominate this for funniest post of the year

"I was not educated, I was inspirated. If I was educated I would be a damn fool"

Dubmarine

Dubmarine
  • Members
  • 340 posts
You pretty Much nailed it for me there DC.

It was a hot hot day on the gold coast , and not much shade available anywhere except the Roots stage, which was ok as it had most of the acts i was there to see.

Posted Image

Dubmarine performed @ 12:20, A bit of a crowd there for the show which was a nice suprise for us:)

Great to see Zennith Boyz again, always enjoy hangin with that crew. Aiden/Astro/Lindsay are pumping it as front men, as always fave track for me was Hot Topic.

Next we went and braved the sun to catch Aloe Blacc. Shade at the Mr j stage was almost non existant,. we camped out near sound box to get what shade we could.

I am a huge fan of soul/funk/whatever you want to call it music and there are acts doing the modern take on it well, as a result the bar is pretty high and it is easy to miss the mark a bit.
While i Enjoyed Aloe's show i wasnt blown away by the music. Aloe is a great singer and all but yeah, it was ok, not face melting.

Went back to the Roots stage to catch some of Koolism, which was fun, though i think i was mainly grateful for the shade hahah.

Ok so Erykah Badu was amazing!!!!! all the tunes were aranged superbly and the woman herself just oozes talent. Really enjoyed the show which threw in a bit of everything. Could not fault the band at all, very tight rhythm section, backing vox vocals were on point and very classy tunes. High quality performance here and quite possibly act of the day for me.

Next up i caught the end of Fat Freddys Drop, only got to see a couple of songs but i liked what i saw. They had a big crowd who seemed to be loving it.

Then it was all about Nas and Damian Marley. I quite enjoyed the Distant Relatives album, as well as previous lps from D Marley. I have to admit Nas was never my thing, but keen to check it out all the same.

Dispear was a higlight from the first part of the set. D Marley was on point and the band were showing where modern live reggae acts take ques from. ( rewinds, hits, mix riddim etc etc)

Next Nas did his "solo" section of hte show, which were massive tunes if you were a Nas fan, ie Hip hop is dead and stuff from illmatic etc. The crowd loved it, some people around me knew all the words and were clearly here to see the Nas aspect of the duo, though i was just hoping they would play reggae again soon haha.

Dmarley had a similar "solo" section and pumped some new and old tunes, which were some of the best of the set, the band really blazing here.

Then Jamrock, Family, Road to Zion ( with Erykah Badu), Africa must wake up and Could you be loved. As mentioned by DC i could have done without the Bob covers ( though i did enjoy War), but the crowed loved it.... A sweaty pinger next to me said he would bet me 10 Bux they would finish with a bob song and he hoped it was natural mystic..asked me if i knew it and then started to sing it to me hahah....

So all in all i liked the set, D marley is a top notch performer and has definite skills and a great band. I also liked the Nas stuff so was good to see it.
Posted Image
(Dubmarine( well half of us) with D Marley and Nas)

Hit the road after that, but i am told Faithless were supurb...

Also caught some Frendly fires, Ting Tings and some more indie electro house throughout the day, which was of course shite. ...

The big winner fo the day however was cut off denim pants...seemed to be the uniform for the 16-22 female age bracket hahah.

All in all, a good day, saw some great music ( possibly best line at a festival of this sort for ages!) and as a result of the cheaper tix, lots of my friends made the journey.

basmati

basmati

soundsystem done miracles for reggae music

• Members
  • 2,548 posts

Also caught some Frendly fires, Ting Tings and some more indie electro house throughout the day, which was of course shite. ...

ha hah......of course !

thanks for the updates guys, i couldn't make it...sounds like the artists did well

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts

A sweaty pinger next to me

Yu know mi love watch dem gurn out, one of de highlights fe mi of any festival... :)
Guys looking for a lighter in their pocket etc. while looking soo confused... :lol:
Madda dan...

DollaMix

DollaMix
  • Members
  • 515 posts
Festivals are probably better with everyone 'pinging' as you call it than all getting drunk.
... and this is coming from a pretty aweful drunk - Me !

:riseup:

I went to the Damian and Nas concert in Wellington just recently and have to say it was a great show!

Nas certainly doesn't have the same projection as D.M it seems but if you know the songs, its all good and can be forgiven.
I only really know Nas' early stuff and maybe the odd new one.
It was a pretty special moment when within a few seconds of the beat of the 'illmatic' anthem the whole crowd was yelling in full chorus -
'Represent, Represent!"

Whatever can be said of NZs reggae knowledge or general appeal vs Australias is certainly debatable but there is no doubt that Kiwis know and love hip hop on a far greater scale.

This was clear to me with the warm-up DJs hype set. He played one of those 30 anthems in ten minutes type things.
Most of the croud was reciting the lyrics verbatum to these (mostly 90's) bangers. You know the ones...
Or maybe you don't.

But yeah - you'd have to say Damian upstaged Nas quite convincingly.

Favourite tune was Patience (and is on the Album too)

No where near as many hot gyals in attendance as I can imagine Good Vibes had. Has to be mentioned..

Ah - havn't rambled on here for a while. Feels good. Probably get slayed now... or ignored.
MADANTZ INVASION

Dubmarine

Dubmarine
  • Members
  • 340 posts

warm-up DJs hype set. He played one of those 30 anthems in ten minutes type things.
Most of the croud was reciting the lyrics verbatum to these (mostly 90's) bangers. You know the ones...

The Dj was Nas Dj who performed in the band also. This also happened on Gold coast, so many ppl singing along.

The vibe actually went down and eveyone stopped singing when he played a Black eyed peas ( lets get retarded) tune.... I though, maybe there is hope for the music biz after all hahahah..

DollaMix

DollaMix
  • Members
  • 515 posts
Ha ha,

There was definately no B.E.P. getting dropped in Wellington. That must have been an horrific buzz kill! :daze:

Was more along the lines of O.D.B, M.O.P, and B.D.P :grin:

and Dead Prez....
MADANTZ INVASION

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users