Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pasifik Reggae (Brisbane)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

nickhodemus

nickhodemus
  • Members
  • 194 posts
Passing on this info from Brent Clough (apologies if this info is posted elsewhere):

Greetings to all Pasifik people & reggae lovers

This is information about the audio-visual installation and live event to celebrate Reggae in the Pacific region, beginning this Saturday night, December 5th at the Queensland Art Gallery as part of the 6th Asia Pacific Triennial of Art.

The show this Saturday (which is free!) will feature O-Shen (PNG/Hawai’i pan-Pacific reggae don dada), Darky Roots (Aotearoa/Brisbane roots soljahs),Tuff Tumas (Vanuatu’s ruffest), and Jagarizzar (rising PNG youth singer).

I know many of you won’t be able to make it to the opening night, but I hope you might still be able to make it to Brisbane over the 4 months that the Triennial runs and check out the installation at the Gallery of Modern Art. If you can’t be in Australia I’m hopeful there will be more material posted online for everyone to see and hear.

Many of you have been instrumental in making this event happen. There are too many to name individually, but I am aiming to make sure this email reaches everyone who helped in Australia, Aotearoa, Hawai’i, Kanaky, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Papua Niugini, Jamaica, USA, & Canada. Know that your CDs, DVDs, photographs, performances, conversations, accommodation, meals, emails, ideas and encouragement contributed to making this event what it should truly be. I’ll take the blame for any shortcomings!

Once again, thank you to everyone who helped make this idea a reality, especially Maud Page and Mellissa Kavenagh from QAG.

Reggae is just one style of music in this region, but it’s surely one that carries stories of resistance and continuity, aspirations and dreams, expressions of solidarity and belonging a long way – from indigenous island homes to the world.

As brother Bob used to say, “music is family.”

Aroha Tahi/One Love

Brent Clough

pacific reggae link

:bigup:

Dubmarine

Dubmarine
  • Members
  • 340 posts
I think there is some Live Dubmarine footage being played at this too.

Senorbambu

Senorbambu
  • Members
  • 127 posts
OK, this is a final reminder about the big free show happening tomorrow night, Sat. Dec. 5 at the Gallery of Modern Art in Brisbane.

It's the launch party for the huge Asia Pacific Triennial which is opening this weekend. They are kicking things off with a reggae event because one of the main parts of the Triennial is the audio visual installation, Pacific Reggae: Roots Beyond the Reef, showcasing videos and recordings of the many reggae artists from the region.

https://qag.qld.gov..../pacific_reggae

Jagarizzar, Tuff Tumas, Darky Roots and the star of Papua New Guinea and Pasifikan music, O-shen fresh from Port Moresby will be on the GOMA stage from 7.30.

Roots and culture Pasifik style!!! It's going to be large. See you there.

Forward!

hemi tuf selekta

hemi tuf selekta
  • Members
  • 678 posts
Everyone who loves reggae in Brissy would be mad to miss this. We had sound check last night and Oshens band is very tight some of the songs are obviously island style but they played some big reggae riddims too like Return and crystal woman.
These guys are one of the best reggae bands in the Pacific so please don't miss it.
Plus you'll get to see the island side of me and Jaga performing as Tuff Tumas Sound :alarm:

Nuff Respect Brisbane come check it out after all its free :hmm:

:respect:
Hemia wan Gyman wan Nomo...

basmati

basmati

soundsystem done miracles for reggae music

• Members
  • 2,548 posts
Will try and get to this but am deejaying at This Is Soundsystem

Don't miss Oshen live in the studio of The Yard - running tunes and chatting to the man

Reggaetown Festival

Reggaetown Festival
  • Members
  • 559 posts
I also prepared a "compilation " of pasifk songs to be polayed there
I wont get to see this (argh) so tell me all about it!

miss you bwois!
xoM
In Unity is Strength and ensured succes

HUA

HUA
  • Members
  • 598 posts
there were apparently around two thousand people inside and hundreds that couldn't get in because of concern for the safety of the "art work"
good night that!

Big ups to brent clough.. you can go check out the pacific reggae exhibition over the next 4 months featuring our very own: dubmarine and zennith
josHUA

Reggaetown Festival

Reggaetown Festival
  • Members
  • 559 posts
I havent seen it yet - But I added a Tuff TUmas track also!!
LEabanna mix with OneTOx
In Unity is Strength and ensured succes

Ras De Marco

Ras De Marco

DUBSHACK

• Members
  • 614 posts
Had a great night at this event

was great to see a whole Darky Roots set...

enjoyed them more than the headline act...

but the vibes were high ..n the peeps jammed into the the space ..was a cooking lil gig :lol:
<a href='http://www.myspace.com/dubshack' target='_blank'>http://www.myspace.c...om/dubshack</a> - <b> Live the life you love..love the life you live.</b>

The Upsteppers

The Upsteppers
  • Members
  • 119 posts
Other Brisbane bands representing in this exhibition include The Upsteppers, Heavyweight Champion and Kingfisha. And of course Dubmarine on the TV.

Show was cool. O-Shen band was tight, and clearly heaps of people came just for them. Darky Roots played superb set despite serious sound problems (sound man who needed to learn what Bass Drum feedback sounds like).

Stiff crowd too, heaps of people 1st time to a reggae show, others first time to an art gallery event. Everyone was just standing and staring, so the only vibes were coming from the stage.

Good to see such a huge turn out from Pacific Islands and Polynesia, exhibition is awesome, and the APT is always mind-blowing so check it out before it moves on.

hemi tuf selekta

hemi tuf selekta
  • Members
  • 678 posts

Stiff crowd too, heaps of people 1st time to a reggae show, others first time to an art gallery event. Everyone was just standing and staring, so the only vibes were coming from the stage.

Definately was a stiff "arts" element there :lol: But stiff crowd?? I've been giging in Brissy for years now and I have never ever heard that much noise from a crowd. The PA had nothing on the crowd response to Oshen..Big up all my wantoks from Vanuatu, PNG and Solo for your support. At the end the crowd pretty much sung all of "Meri Leva" and my ears were hurting from the volume :fire:

:respect: to Brent and Maud from the Gallery for their efforts.
I had a wickid time and it was great to play nearly all Melanesian songs in a set.
First time with Jagarizzer as an MC and he did wickid. He dropped a couple of nice originals as well in our set. Nuff respect Wantok.

Darky Roots had one of their better sets I've seen and even though the crowd was still a little quiet they pulled a fair few supporters and I think everyone really enjoyed there songs. Alot of people commented to me that those guys could easily be the next big thing in NZ reggae with their sound.

O-SHEN was wickid!! His reggae was solid and the Twin tribes boys backed up real well. The traditional songs probably didnt appeal to some of the reggae heads bt were well received by the Pacific crowd.

Probably the biggest reggae gig I've seen in Brisbane so big thanks to APT6 crew and GOMA and all who made it possible.
Hemia wan Gyman wan Nomo...

nardo

nardo
  • Members
  • 1,499 posts
any video from the night?
<a href='http://www.firecorner.com' target='_blank'>firecorner.com</a>

Senorbambu

Senorbambu
  • Members
  • 127 posts
Yes, backing up brother Hemi here - I was amongst the crowd and where I was and for rows and rows back people were certainly NOT standing and staring. People were enjoying the acts, shaking a foot, smiling and partying and when O-shen stepped up the big crowd was at fever pitch - arms waving, hollering, screaming for more. Videos and stills will back that up.

Nardo, the gallery recorded performances on video, so we'll see if something can be posted on ozreggae

Big love to all performers on the night. Mars Melto - keeping the ni-Vanuatu vibes flowing while the 'arts sector' yabbered (maybe this very early period is what Upsteppers is talking about), we enjoyed every one of your songs and especially loved it when you jumped on a Hemi Tuff riddim!! Tank yu tumas bredrin. And Tuff Tumas and Jagarizzar - you cats were deadly. Pasifik mix was ruff and Jaga you vibed the crowd with your great voice and stage presence. Forward my youth! Hua and Darky Roots brought the Aotearoa roots strength.
Ka rawe Maori! Great show and may you go forward to conquer more audiences like Saturday night!
And O-Shen and Twin Tribes! Nambawan!! You had the whole room singing 'Meri Lewa'. And 'Ai Gama Siasi' rocked! Tenk yu TUMAS! Mahalonui, Jason and Laka. (And Sunny Dread - great energy and good humour - you took it all to another level!)

This night proved that a huge art gallery can also be converted to a place for reggae culture and that Pacific reggae is well strong, second to none.
We need this sort of thing happening more often - so watch out for O-shen back on these shores and definitely watch for Twin Tribes - PNG's finest!

It was a pity that this gig coincided with Champion Sound's night at BEMAC, but at least we linked up in the end and had an excellent old yarn - so large up man like like John, Wade, Chris, Elephant Wise, Basmati and all the Brisbane crew. Stay strong and I hope we can enjoy a huge session together sometime in the near future.

Finally for anyone who doubts what the Pacific Reggae Sounds gig was like read this blog entry from hardened arts commentaor Andrew Frost: (http://artlife.blogspot.com/)

Imagine the scene if you can. You’re at the Art Gallery of NSW, or the Museum of Contemporary Art, or perhaps at the “National” Gallery of Victoria, for an opening party. It’s the standard fair: art world people, drinks, canapés and some speeches. After a couple of hours the doors are thrown open. The public streams into the gallery, all smiles, many of them extended Islander families, and head towards a stage area en mass. Reggae superstar Oshen comes on and the place goes crazy – the band kicks in, dreads flying – it’s like the second coming of Bob Marley. Not only is the band great, the crowd totally into it, but so are the art people – and even crazier – all the galleries are still open, drunk people wandering around looking at art, museum guards smiling, no doubt mentally totting up the overtime. A grand dream? Too many of Brisbane’s infamous trumpet reefers? No – this really was the opening party of the 6th Asia Pacific Triennial. All the usual art world talk of “inclusivity” and “reaching out to the community” usually amounts to very little. This time GOMA and the APT made the egalitarian gesture into something real. This is how all major gallery openings should roll.

basmati

basmati

soundsystem done miracles for reggae music

• Members
  • 2,548 posts
Fire!!! sound terriffic, wish I coulda made it

The Upsteppers

The Upsteppers
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Stiff crowd too, heaps of people 1st time to a reggae show, others first time to an art gallery event.  Everyone was just standing and staring, so the only vibes were coming from the stage.

Definately was a stiff "arts" element there :lol: But stiff crowd?? I've been giging in Brissy for years now and I have never ever heard that much noise from a crowd.

Yeah, probably overdid it... Crowd was huge, acts were great, and especially during o-shen's set half the crowd was singing and yelling hard.

Not as much motion and dancing as i am used to at shows, but guess it is something about being in an art gallery under fluoro lighting, and mixed crowd (mixture of enthusiasts and the mildly curious). Where i was about half way back from the stage, the audience was appreciative but pretty static.

For real, biggest reggae gig i have seen in brisbane. Not just great attendance, but great diversity of attendees (Pacific / Polynesian / Arts / reggae & mainstream represented). Speaking with one of the gallery staff who said their bosses were stoked with how it turned out. Clearly successful event.

Full respect to the organizers and artists. big undertaking, and hugely successful.

HUA

HUA
  • Members
  • 598 posts
o-shen performing ,you reckon the crowd knew his material?
josHUA

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts
good clip Hua!