Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need more information...

on DUB & Sound Systems.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

MonkeyRockers

MonkeyRockers
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Hi Ozreggae brothers & sisters.

I ALWAYS prefer music that is played by instruments and not played by computers. Let's face it REAL music is ONLY really played on instruments. Using a computer would be too easy.

But i am aware , through this forum, that alot of reggae is played by 'Dj's' on 'sound systems'. Especially in Victoria. In Perth I only know of one REAL Sound System, even though i haven't seen it I know General Justice has Jah Wisdom Sound System. He always plays the best & iriest reggae when he dj's on the radio or at a gig. I don't know why other people don't play as well as him & his freinds. They alsways make us dance.

Anyway i detract from my initial point. I need to know where i can see more reggae on sound systems as that seems to be the only way reggae is played properly if not by a band? What is it about the 'sound system' that makes it different from when a rap or dance dj play? Obviously when you have a sound system you have better equipment and music (lol), but , what else?

Anyway, thanks for any help in advance.

oh and also my wife & I will be organizing some more reggae one love vegan love partys soon, the last couple have been COSMIC! Please get in touch if you would like to join us on our next spiritual mystic journey of self discovery ! ONE LOVE!

[center]REAL REGGAE FOREVER!

ONE

Posted Image

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts

right on Monkey Rockers! and you didn't even mention all these bloody laptop DJs. now that really is the worst! don't they know how boring it is to watch someone on stage staring at their laptop screen? It's much more exciting watching DJs digging around in their record boxes, don't you agree? not to mention that unless you actually own a song on vinyl, you don't really own it at all. these dancehall pretenders are a joke really!

jay-b

jay-b
  • Members
  • 139 posts

OK jesse i - i am all in favour of a touch of sarcasm, hyperbole or even irony to make a point  -  you had me fooled for a minute  - but i think what we have here in your reply is a bit of a joke ting! however i agree with what i think youre getting at..........ever since the sleng teng rhythm changed the sound of jamaican music in the mid 80's, computer based rhythms have ruled  - some people (mainly white folk who dont live back a yard in a kingston ghetto)  who hadn't gotten over early 80's rootsradics/scientist/dance hall taking over from the 70's revolutionaries sound or bob marley thought the world was ending!  - but "no" not so, the world was moving on  -  over the past 20 yrs there have been brilliant computer based tracks  which will live forever. Check out many of the major JA /US /UK sounds  - many will play sets with only the selector to generate excitement, some even play cd's  -  it's about the quality of the music, the choice of tunes, the order their played in- this doesnt mean everyone who does it does it right though!          

HUA

HUA
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Reg is gay,

I realised on Sunday, yes Just this sunday I wasn't actually rasta, and since I wasn't rasta I realised I better cut me dreads off, and since my dreads are now off,

Reg is in deed gay

MR if u just read this , and it didn't really make any sense...?

thats how I feel when I read your vomit

rastafari! one love, or two loves ... if there's wo of you...?

josHUA

MonkeyRockers

MonkeyRockers
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Hmmmmm

Very interesting point, Jesse. I have noticed more & more people bringing their computers to play off. Surely that denotes any talent or skill by the dj? They cannot possible expect us to appreciate such an organic form of music played through a comnputer can they?

And , Hua, you are right my freind. I do not understand what you are going on about but i don't apreciate at all the use of 'gay' as a derogatory term. Please learn one love, no wonder you are no longer ba Rastaman!

[center]REAL REGGAE FOREVER!

ONE

Posted Image

Grapple

Grapple
  • Members
  • 3,057 posts

the only difference between laptop  and vinyl is sound quality ....and maybe the cool factor of vinyl which should only matter to teenagers really....  Laptop gives you more chance to be Dj creatively ie - add your own Fx / Loops /  live mash-ups etc.  Not sure how much reggae dj's are taking this kinda stuff on board so far .

Grapple

Grapple
  • Members
  • 3,057 posts
 Let's face it REAL music is ONLY really played on instruments             

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Jesse I

Jesse I

Higher Level

• Members
  • 6,294 posts
but i think what we have here in your reply is a bit of a joke ting!

Grapple

Grapple
  • Members
  • 3,057 posts

Monkey Rockers laptop Dj'ing is cool because you can drop a tune then check Facebook for a couple of minutes

Grapple

Grapple
  • Members
  • 3,057 posts

or in your case google search for spirulina smoothie recipes

reddz

reddz
  • Members
  • 8 posts

one love vegan love partys........

sounds inviting. :fireman: :fireman: