Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RAGGAMUFFIN FESTIVAL 2011

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts
Posted Image

Andrew McManus Presents is proud to present Raggamuffin 2011

- Mary J. Blige - Jimmy Cliff - Maxi Priest - Sean Paul - The Original Wailers - The Black Seeds - Ky-Mani Marley - The Red Eyes -

Wednesday 26 January 2011 - FREMANTLE OVAL, PERTH (18+)
Friday 28 January 2011 - PARRAMATTA PARK, SYDNEY
Saturday 29 January 2011 - SIDNEY MYERS MUSIC BOWL, MELBOURNE
Sunday 30 January 2011 - PINE RIVERS PARK, BRISBANE (18+)
Wednesday 2 February 2011 - MEMORIAL DRIVE, ADELAIDE

TICKETS ON SALE WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 3, 9AM

TICKETMASTER.COM.AU 136 100
Play by the king for love is all I bring ...

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts
Raggamuffin Discount Presale : STARTS 9AM TOMORROW

http://www.ampresent...fin_251010.html

Itations

Itations

Boom wha dis!

• Culture Don
  • 4,974 posts
I know there is a little controversy surrounding these shows (amongst the core reggae massive), but I've surprisingly had a good time at raggamuffin in the past. I wish the festival would broaden their line-up a little, but they have brought out a few artists I was very happy to see.

Now to state the obvious - what the hell is with Mary J Blige??

dunchillin

dunchillin
  • Members
  • 4,092 posts
How you mean?! Mary J probably the best artist on the bill this year!

"I was not educated, I was inspirated. If I was educated I would be a damn fool"

general justice

general justice
  • Members
  • 1,343 posts

so will you be BOOing or Botteling LOL
Who Jah Bless .....
and yu know the rest!

Itations

Itations

Boom wha dis!

• Culture Don
  • 4,974 posts

I have no doubt MS Blige is a talented performer. But why is she headlining a "reggae" festival? Sameway as per last years Lauren Hill billing. Lauren Hill is amazing. Toppa-top! Is she the queen of reggae though? No. No she isnt.

dunchillin

dunchillin
  • Members
  • 4,092 posts
Fair enough. Lauren was the best performer last year too! But yeah, not reggae.
General, I don't know what you mean?

"I was not educated, I was inspirated. If I was educated I would be a damn fool"

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts
If anyone has suggestions for artists they'd love to see at Raggamuffins, you can discuss it here ...
This is the official FB page, and the organisers read everything.

http://www.facebook....590&topic=14883

Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard
  • Members
  • 1,035 posts
I am just going to clear up the confusion that some people seam to be having with the Ragamuffin show. Allot of people have been.. lets say a bit baffled by some of the non reggae acts headlining the shows. Maybe I could shed a bit of light to clear up the situation.. Why was 'Lauren Hill' headlining last years raggamuffin show? This is easy.. cos she is married to a Marley. Why was 'Wyclef' set to come? Cos he did a Bob Marley cover on one of the 'Fugees' albums. Why is 'Mary J Blige' headlining the festival this year? Again easy, cos she had a poster of Bob on here wall as a teenage youth growing up in Brooklyn NY. I hear also that next years line up will include US rap artist 'Marley Marl' (for obvious reasons) but also surprisingly dog enthusiast 'John Grogan' who is the author of the famous book that later turned Hollywood block buster "Marley and me" he will be doing dog tricks with his 3 year old cocker spaniel 'Turbo' as entertainment in between the acts. I hope that this clears things up a bit better. Jah Rastafari!

ISIS

ISIS
  • Members
  • 1,472 posts

but also surprisingly dog enthusiast 'John Grogan' who is the author of the famous book that later turned Hollywood block buster "Marley and me" he will be doing dog tricks with his 3 year old cocker spaniel 'Turbo' as entertainment in between the acts. I hope that this clears things up a bit better. Jah Rastafari!

:rofl:
Link Up | SabataSound@gmail.com | FB: SabataSound Yusiit | Twitter: @SabataSound

Itations

Itations

Boom wha dis!

• Culture Don
  • 4,974 posts
:lol:

Bazoo

Bazoo
  • Members
  • 72 posts

If anyone has suggestions for artists they'd love to see at Raggamuffins, you can discuss it here ...
This is the official FB page, and the organisers read everything.

http://www.facebook....590&topic=14883

Nice of you to point it out to everyone here but I've been there, and put up what I've requested a few times, and honestly, anything I might have mentioned was completely washed away in the mountainous tsunami of Ali Campbell requests.

Seriously... what the fuck is up with those people requesting? Enough with the UB40 stuff! I HAVE NOW SEEN UB40 SEVENTEEN THOUSAND TIMES. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE UB40 AGAIN. I HAVE NOW SEEN UB40 MORE THAN I HAVE SEEN MY OWN MOTHER AND FATHER.

I've been going for consecutive years to this thing but I'm not buying a ticket this year because I think the lineup is generally too wishy washy. Not to see that I wouldn't enjoy seeing a Jimmy Cliff solo, or a Sean Paul solo (although I've seen him before, that was enough)... but as a lineup, it just kind of, well, doesn't really go anywhere. I would have thought that Raggamuffin as a festival would have had more pull by now. And by that I mean real reggae/dancehall pull, not RnB star pull.

Honestly I'd love to see a Sizzla or a Capleton. I realise that the bigger the name, the bigger the possibility that a Beenie Man-style cancellation might get forced, but wouldn't Kalonji fly just about under the radar in Australia?

I'd also love to see something that lets me know that Raggamuffin is kind of wise to dancehall. I'm sure they are, and I realise it is a reggae festival first and foremost, but still... nowadays you don't get one without the other if you want the full picture, and it's completely relevant. It'd also ensure that I'd have bought my ticket by now! What about Big Ship? I saw them in Japan recently, and they made an awesome show of themselves.

orange

orange
  • Members
  • 1 posts
I can't wait for Raggamuffin. and especially to see Jimmy Cliff. What show is everyone going to? I'm from Melbs and this is will be my second Raggamuffin. Last year was lots of fun, and yes Lauryn Hill was so so good.

HUA

HUA
  • Members
  • 598 posts
It would be cool if the organisers of Reggaefest,Polyfest,woodford, Reggaetown, Island vibe, Bluesfest and some local promotes who bring JA artsists over, got together and built and built a Massive reggae festival with a healthy mix of New roots guys dancehall guys old school guys ,
It could be like a "Australasian reggae summit" incorporating acts from the pacifc islands and New Zealand also, maybe this could get people from close by over seas to fly over for it?

Just say they did something... even just with the dudes they've had or have come close to had coming here...

Could look like this, in no particular order...

Midnite
Turbulence
Groundation
Anthony B
Jesse I and Ras Crucial
Matisyahu
Toots and the maytals
ritchie spice
Deadly hunta
lukie d
house of shem
Grace barbe
katchafire
oshen
fyah walk
the red eyes
zennith
Beautiful girls
Nea combo diffuzion
Dub wize
cornerstone roots
nati ruts
probably heaps more I can't remember...

Something like that I'd pay what ever I gad to attend.
josHUA

Rebeldina

Rebeldina
  • Members
  • 11 posts
Yes I agree with you all...It is supposed to be a Reggae thing not anything else...I find these event line-ups dissapointing and am also annoyed by the choice of venue as the Sydney Myer Music Bowl (Melb) is cute for an outdoor event - not the Melb showgrounds with no vibe..., Also we get all the 'has beens' here and the mainstream commercial artists - its all about the massess and money.....commercial viability ...Thats the reality of it all...
I'd love to see Jah Cure (LOL), Sizzla, Gyptian, Vybz, Mavado, Tarnya Stephens etc etc - must I go on ?..../ gracing our shores in a massive line-up: however it may be best to jump on a plane :) It wont happen here (right now) unless we are prepared to pay $500 a ticket and pack out a smaller venue for only the true hardcore and really committed reggae lovers ...
Reggae has and always will be my number one... but I always give respect to the sisters of RNB with soul, strength and conscious lyrics (check them out if you dont know)..... Lauryn Hill, India Arie, Meshelle Ndegeocello, Erikah Badu, Angie Stone, Jill Scott and my absolute favourite IS Mary J Blige...I have every album fe real.
I have bought my ticket and will be there just even to see her ...I am rapped, been waiting for so long to see her and she cancelled a concert last year already, probably didnt sell enough tickets and pulled.
Maybe a look on the bright side is to have more people who normally woudlnt go to these gigs come along and get addicted and join the reggae train too... so in future we can get higher profile and caibre artists here - I have been responsibilie for a few reggae converts in my times :)
One Love ...

Reggaetown Festival

Reggaetown Festival
  • Members
  • 559 posts
Lawdy lawdy - here we go again, its like 2004 dejavu

WHO SAID its meant to be a strictly Reggae event
Raggamuffin,
present more INT reggae on 1 stage, in 1 year, than any other event here
none are "labled" striclty reggaefest!!

and Raggamuffin is as close as it gets in this Country!!
JIMMY CLIFF - is a living reggae ledgend,
Sean Paul - is fantastic to dance to, and my fav on bill!!
sprinkle of djs, Aus and NZ, alongside MASSIVE international REGGAE and RnB/Hip Hop names..annualy
I call it BLISS - something for young and old!

Im amazed yet again, the reggae heads are still the ones giving shit to the promoters who make reggae happen here

dont take names so litterally - look at the ecclectic event descriptions
none say stricly reggae - expect maybe the new Byron bay Reggae fest

youll find that allot of us, who listen to more than 100% reggae in our life, might actually enjoy other similar styles of riddims as well(yes Sista!)

Raggamuffin 2010 was a highlight of my year - and although Ms Hill was amazing to see live, and obviously the biggest commercial artist on the bill - my fav was sly n robby!!

we get to see a few, a few times, but how can u winge about that?

we also got to see Steel Pulse, various sons of Marley, Shaggy,sly n robby,
now it continues with 2011 looking VERY TEMPTING - infact for many up here, worth plane tickets and a hotel room!!

its VERY HARD to put together and manage a huge line up like this
and all 10 million opinions do get seen- but you cant expect to see YOUR idea of a perfect line up roll out in someone elses event!!!

and in my humble opinion, after over a decade of roots, reggae, hip hop, world and island music touring and event industry experience- Raggamuffin and their presenters are doing this reggae starved nation a great service since they began

Reggae is on the rise good people of ozreggaeville....keep it positive:)
or at least keep in constructive

our OZ and NZ reggae bands are thriving (finally)
more and more events are including Reggae on the bill
International reggae keeps flowing thru to inspire us
AND - dancehall and fresh outta Jamaican music will get bigger here...eventually

- whatever anyone else does or says - this is OUR Reggaescene...seen?
so...LOVE IT and it will LOVE U BACK!!

Raspect to Raggamuffin, Bluesfest, GVF, Womad, POlyfest, AWME, and anyone else workin the night shift, building the reggae railway to Australia!!

LOVE IT HUA...lets do it in Cairns:))

Bless:))
In Unity is Strength and ensured succes

ISIS

ISIS
  • Members
  • 1,472 posts

youll find that allot of us, who listen to more than 100% reggae in our life, might actually enjoy other similar styles of riddims as well(yes Sista!)

Huh???
Link Up | SabataSound@gmail.com | FB: SabataSound Yusiit | Twitter: @SabataSound

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts
:lol:
Madda dan...

Bazoo

Bazoo
  • Members
  • 72 posts
I resent the idea that you think we should all have to get down on our knees and thank promoters from the bottom of our hearts simply because they bring some reggae acts down. It's not my fucking job to do that, man. If I like what I see I say so and if I don't I say so. If I didn't give a shit I wouldn't say anything but I do so I'm saying what I think. I'm not begging for scraps over here. I've heard just about a fucking ear full of this whole 'be more grateful for what you get, this is Australia, you're lucky you get anything at all, promoters have a really hard job here' stuff. I DON'T CARE. My customers don't thank me for the very difficult dayjob that I do. They definitely let me know when I fuck up. But not when I do well. But what I do get is money to do that dayjob. Same here. So there you go. Don't expect me to lie prostrate in thanks and admiration. Not... my... job.

I'm the one who's supposed to buy the ticket, and don't you forget that. And I'm disappointed that the lineup seems to be a leap backwards from last year. People are only saying this shit because they were coming to expect more and more from Raggamuffin over the years. If it'd never impressed before, no one would care now.

By the way, there's also that issue of you saying that no one said Raggamuffin was a strictly reggae festival... Yeah. Right. Silly of me to think that. 'Raggamuffin'. Where did I get my silly ideas from? Looking forward to seeing Maroon 5 at next year's Metal To The Brain Festival, by the way. Ha.

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts
Sekkle Bazoo... :lol:
Madda dan...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users