Welcome to OzReggae.com Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RAGGAMUFFIN FESTIVAL 2011

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

HUA

HUA
  • Members
  • 598 posts
General nice picture man!

I really liked the sound of the original wailers band, good to them have some quality new originals
not too much guitar shreading this time, was quite enjoyable

the Red eyes for mine did a great job, obviously a really taxing task trying to entice an audience that has barely had time to go to bar and settle in

Jimmy cliff's binghi drum session was wicked! as were his big hits, I had a great lil dance along to the man

I could take or leave maxi priest...

Kymani marley must have played around 6 bob covers and correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't play "Warriors" ??? C'mon... I thought playing so many covers is a cop out.

Mary J's performance, I thought was out standing, and her band especially backing ocalists were AMAZING!

the Kiwi style polyfonk Rnb and hip hop dj's were... Embarassing,

was great to catch up with so many people at the festival, so much talking was made possible by so much filler music...
josHUA

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts
Thanks fe de run down Hua... :bigup:
Madda dan...

basmati

basmati

soundsystem done miracles for reggae music

• Members
  • 2,548 posts
Red Eyes – missed them so can’t say but know their work and I’m sure were good
Black Seeds – they didn’t show – whats happening here ??
Ky-Mani Marley – was still outside but could hear him, sounded good
The Original Wailers – enjoyed their new tunes the most but please have heard all the No Woman No Cry, Redemption Song etc a million times – next
Sean Paul – another no show, WTF ??? bad look !!
Maxi Priest featuring Beniton – wikked ! very smooth, combined well with Beniton’s ruff vocals – standout for me
Jimmy Cliff – great performance and the voice still powerful – another standout for me
Mary J Blige – class act on show here for sure, very good, just questioning why she headlining a reggae festival ??
Deejay and MC between acts – competent crew but really they had no idea about running a reggae and dancehall session, one reggae tune for every 6-7 hiphop/rnb tunes ?? – wrong choice, fail, replace

Dubmarine

Dubmarine
  • Members
  • 340 posts
Why so many no shows?

Was/is this the same story for other states?

or is it a cost cutting thing for Brisbane as profits were dontated to flood appeal??

Cheers for rundown Hua! I would have loved to have seen Mary J's band.

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts
Basmati in an angular assertive review mode! :)
Madda dan...

Itations

Itations

Boom wha dis!

• Culture Don
  • 4,974 posts
Sean Paul No Show....

Now I don't mean to be a harsh here - but seriously - WTF???

The festival was obviously aware that Sean Paul was -not- going to attend any Australian show, but still continues to advertise him as a notable headliner. And even worse - glosses over his absence during his scheduled time, with NO MENTION of his absence. It ticked me right off, enough to the point that I left the festival very early and quite pissed off.

Is it just me, or do other peeps think this is quite misleading?

Itations

Itations

Boom wha dis!

• Culture Don
  • 4,974 posts

General nice picture man!

Kymani marley must have played around 6 bob covers and correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't play "Warriors" ??? C'mon... I thought playing so many covers is a cop out.

With 3 full studio albums behind him, I have to say I was disspointed too. He did 7 songs and 4 were covers. No Warriors in melbourne either. But he was top notch performance wise!

Al Good

Al Good
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Sean Paul No Show....

Now I don't mean to be a harsh here - but seriously - WTF???

The festival was obviously aware that Sean Paul was -not- going to attend any Australian show, but still continues to advertise him as a notable headliner. And even worse - glosses over his absence during his scheduled time, with NO MENTION of his absence. It ticked me right off, enough to the point that I left the festival very early and quite pissed off.

Total fuckery, I fail to see how the organisers can obviously be aware he is not appearing, but make no mention throughout the day. And I assume he was still on the programs that were for sale.
What a fuckin insult that even when his set time was due his absense was not mentioned. It was as if the organisers thought everyone would just forget he was supposed to play.

I'd love to know the legalities of it all. I see that ticketek or whatever organisation sold tickets has a strict no refund 'you buy it so like it or lump it' policy, but isn't this a case of gross misrepresentation and false advertising?

Also I read today that at least NZ audiences have been told he won't be appearing. http://www.stuff.co....-of-Raggamuffin So the article you posted is also full of shit...

Legal eagles come in, I want a refund!!

Actually my ticket stated that Raggamuffin was brought to me in part by ozreggae.com.
Yoni I hope the job hunting is going well coz you owe me $100 :wink:

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts

Dat's how ah good promoter ah promote! A la Don King... :lol:
Madda dan...

RANKING

RANKING
  • Culture Don
  • 8,927 posts

Yoni I hope the job hunting is going well coz you owe me $100 :wink:

:lol:
Play by the king for love is all I bring ...

HUA

HUA
  • Members
  • 598 posts
also can anyone please shed some light on the black seeds no show in, bris , I heard rumor, that they were given the news that they would not be paid for bris show only and armed with that info the decided to sit that one out.... well Fuck that!.... I'm so mad if this is true.... so if anyone know's the proper story please share...

I am not a dj, but I v'e seen nuff dj's here putting in so much time on their radio show's, on running dem dances, playing support to countless tour acts for peanuts, and to have a hip hop dj at brisbane's ragga muffin was uncomfortable to see man, , basamti and hemi tuff was there were in the crowd, one of them flood strickend, and these clowns can't come play one show fa free???

andAfter seeing the calibre of mary j, I wasn't that annoyed that she was on the bill anymore, i understand getting someONE left of centre, but I would suggest don't make them headliner, one of the headliners maybe, but not last, the main attraction at a reggae festival should be a reggae act definately

one more small whinge, but I gotta give a big shout out to the drinks cost $30 for 4 xxxx gold's man, mid strength shit, thats $7.50 each...... $7.50 times 24 is $180 per carton, with an approx profit of $150 per carton, nice one ragga muffin one love ;)
josHUA

Dubmarine

Dubmarine
  • Members
  • 340 posts
Way i see it is the promoter caused the black seeds issue if what you said was true...

If you promote that the profits are going to the Flood relief, that shouldnt effect your costs...ie band payment... Does anyone know if ALL acts had to donate performance fee?

U cant be annoyed at Black Seeds tho if ti is true. It is their progative to who and when they donate their $ to, not some third party....

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts

one more small whinge, but I gotta give a big shout out to the drinks cost $30 for 4 xxxx gold's man, mid strength shit, thats $7.50 each...... $7.50 times 24 is $180 per carton, with an approx profit of $150 per carton, nice one ragga muffin one love ;)

Well actually those profits might not actually all go to Raggamuffin promoters. The one who licenced de event to serve alcohol an also public indemnity insurance which has gone way over de top in the last decade. And all these events have to be insured. Not attempting to detract from yu observations Hua just pointing out tings dat punters don't consider.
It's good to hear yu Hua voicing yu entire opinion sameway. :bigup:
Madda dan...

Al Good

Al Good
  • Members
  • 279 posts
Re the Black Seeds: I spoke to them in Melbourne and basically because of the flood donation situation the promoters were not going to cover their costs. Therefore they decided they could not afford to do the show.

HUA

HUA
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Re the Black Seeds: I spoke to them in Melbourne and basically because of the flood donation situation the promoters were not going to cover their costs. Therefore they decided they could not afford to do the show.

oh okay well thats different, andrew Mcm(ANUS) should be been able to cover their cost....dick

LS yeah I was just really bitter cause I had no cash on me, had to keep buying rounds eftpos, $3 per transaction

Big up to the red eyes for coming through
josHUA

L.Static

L.Static
  • Members
  • 4,808 posts

Pussywool promoter dem. Give wid one hand an tek wid de other... Dat really says it all! No integrity inna dat pledge just a public relations exercise (de donation ting)...
Madda dan...

topdog

topdog
  • Members
  • 234 posts
it's kind of like a roundabout way of blackmail i think, they were probly saying to black seeds something along the lines of "you should perform or it's bad PR for u". i know i am very cynical, but i do wonder what peoples intentions are when 'donating' their services.

nafet

nafet
  • Members
  • 637 posts
in Melbourne i saw a flyer with the set lists that still included Sean Paul...I dunno, maybe the guy carrying it ran it off from online, but if it was being distributed on the day.... :no:

the wailers' new material and mary j blige were the highlights of rnbmuffin

Reggae Bliss

Reggae Bliss
  • Members
  • 3 posts
Well ..don't you agree it was a magical day? The clouds filtered the sun off us the bands all gave from the bottom of their hearts. Wether us musicians get paid or not we get to rub shoulders with rare but like spirits on the one day.
You had to be there at the affected parts of Brisbane to see the mud/water marks half way up buildings and the hotels, we've all stayed at, still pumping water out after 2 weeks! No doubt about it the words, riffs, bass lines, skank, sparkles, bubbles and wails heal.Posted Image..Zebra

Reggae Bliss

Reggae Bliss
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Red Eyes – missed them so can't say but know their work and I'm sure were good
Black Seeds – they didn't show – whats happening here ??
Ky-Mani Marley – was still outside but could hear him, sounded good
The Original Wailers – enjoyed their new tunes the most but please have heard all the No Woman No Cry, Redemption Song etc a million times – next
Sean Paul – another no show, WTF ??? bad look !!
Maxi Priest featuring Beniton – wikked ! very smooth, combined well with Beniton's ruff vocals – standout for me
Jimmy Cliff – great performance and the voice still powerful – another standout for me
Mary J Blige – class act on show here for sure, very good, just questioning why she headlining a reggae festival ??
Deejay and MC between acts – competent crew but really they had no idea about running a reggae and dancehall session, one reggae tune for every 6-7 hiphop/rnb tunes ?? – wrong choice, fail, replace

Mmmm Mary J did a bit of Ragga remember? it's a Raggamuffin festival not a reggaemuffin Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users